OMG Weird.

northspruce(z3a MB CDA)August 13, 2011

You know how my garden does strange heebie-jeebie things sometimes? Well we were just discussing on the August blooming thread how I need some monkshood, and I went outside and I have a monkshood blooming. I planted seed 5 years ago this fall and it never grew. I saw the leaves this spring and didn't weed them out because they looked like delphs. But they were monkshood and they're not the same type as the autumn monkshood that I already had.

Weird...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pudge 2b

LOL!

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 7:17PM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Spooky...lol

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 9:28PM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Maybe it's like the snapdragons I have. The last time I planted snapdragons, I believe, was five years ago. I didn't have any snapdragons for three years and then, voila, snapdragons last year and again this year.

The only other thing I can think of is them being hidden in some other annual package that I bought, but you'd think they'd be closer than they are to other plants, if that's the case.

I think you have magic Monkshood and I have magic Snapdragons. =:)

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 10:30PM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Well I have magic hollyhock so there! Or is that mushrooms......lol

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 10:40PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Well with some species the seeds can lie dormant for years, then sprout in the right conditions. That monkshood could have been struggling along (it's inside a peony) for a couple of years before I noticed it too. It's one of the ones with finely divided leaves, they look cool. At least I'll have seeds to collect this fall.

It's also nearby my autumn monkshood which is just starting to develop tiny buds. I wonder if I'll see flowers in November this year. :/

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 9:58AM
luckygal(3b)

I had a monkshood plant many years ago but removed it when I become a Grandmother and didn't want to risk having such a poisonous plant around. So 2 or 3 years ago another one grew up in a different area of my garden - I'm leaving it because it's in the middle of a bed, the Grands don't bother my plants, and I'm always out there with them.

I thought the birds must have seeded it as it was many years between.

I've also had parsley, a Marguerite, and a Malva Zebrina pop up as if by magic. And lots of thistles! I always credit the birds.

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Tradescantia Overwintering and Cultural requirement
Tradescantia �Blue and Gold�...
dongdong
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Primocane raspberries? Zone 3 north of Edmonton
Does anyone around Edmonton grow a primocane raspberry?...
lindz6
What variety of Rose might survive in Mid Coast Maine?
I recently moved to Mid Coast Maine (I'm @ 1/2 hour...
mao53
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™