A/C Accident Froze Braided Ficus

hermitsoulAugust 23, 2012

Hi, I hope someone can advise me on this. I have a five-foot braided ficus that had had some neglect. I had just got it back to happiness at a sheltered east window in my office. The A/C vent is directly across from it (about ten feet away) and I usually kept a chair in front of the vent and a fan to move the air and keep the cold air from blowing directly on the tree. I also kept the A/C on the warm side anyway. The climate here is very hot and dry and the power bill shoots up if we try to keep it below about 75-80.

Two weeks ago someone here turned the A/C way down into the 60's over the weekend. I came in Monday morning to what felt like a refrigerator. That cold air had been blowing right on the ficus all weekend. I hadn't worried about the chair and fan as I left the building with the A/C at about 85. There are maybe five or six leaves still alive--everything else is dead. I've trimmed some of the twigs and see just a hint of a sort of sick green.

Can I save this tree? And if so, how? This poor ficus holds a lot of sentimental value for me.

Thanks,

Laurie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierbanana

Hi Laurie, your tree did not actually freeze. It suffered from the vent because AC air is extremely dry and the change in conditions caused the leaves to transpire so much water that the roots could not keep up. I would make sure the root ball is well soaked and get the vent blocked if possible, it should begin to grow new leaves. We are mostly concerned with the edible fig in this forum. You might get better advice in the houseplant forum.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 10:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hermitsoul

Thank you very much! I'll do that.

Laurie

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
low-growing plants around figs?
How do figs do with a well-mannered groundcover around...
Kristin
Figus Lyrata Bambino - help needed
Hello! I am hoping someone is able to help me with...
msautomatic
Celeste Figs - Trees or bushes?
Is there only 1 variety of Celeste Fig, or does it...
pcbaulch
Anyone growing Ischia fig trees?
Just bought a Ischia fig tree at Lowe's. Suppose to...
Sueanne75
site and variety selection
hi, all, I'm new to California and am excited to try...
emmers_m
Sponsored Products
Bath Authority DreamLine Vitreo-X Frameless Pivot Shower Door and SlimLine Singl
Modern Bathroom
Safavieh Hand-woven Country Living Reversible Brown Braided Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Horizon Three-Light Satin Nickel Bath Fixture
$189.90 | Bellacor
Titan 1 Pendant & Diffuser - White - Original BTC
$495.00 | HORNE
Doughnut Antique Brass Finish Angular Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
MaxLite MLRP24E4530SMW LED Round Pendant, 3000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™