Attaching potted plants to fence?

Irma_StPete(z9 FL)February 22, 2011

I want to attach potted plants to my chain link fence, preferably at no cost - using recycled materials - for instance. I could bend wire coat hangers around pots, or clip plastic bag of dirt to the fence... but do you know of other ways? Pictures or website links would be great. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amberroses(10a)

This is not exactly what you asked for but they actually make a little thingy that does attach pots to things. I got a couple a while back from Park Seed free with my order but I have not used them yet.

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 7:31PM
Irma_StPete(z9 FL)

Today I made a planter from a quart milk jug - the handle will easily tie to the chain link fence. (Started hole for cutting out side w/candle flame, same for drainage.) Going to beg more from neighbors. Added cascading nasturtiums. With enough mounted in one place, it might look "not like milk jugs". Could spray paint them.
Welcome more ideas!

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 5:18PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Hang a purse on the fence and put the pot inside.

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 5:48PM
coffeemom(Broward z10)

I use orchid hangers (with 4 or 6 inch pots)but you could make your own from wire. Mine hold tillandsia and smaller bromeliads since my fence is in shade.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 7:22AM
deannac(9b/S26/H10/Oviedo)

Believe it or not, I use plastic coffee cans, cut the top ring off but leave a 2" wedge (sort of like a tag).

What I end up with is a pot with a "point" that I simply staple to the fence!

I grow most of my herbs and some flowers, strawberries, and other shallow root plants. Works wonders, costs nothing...I'll post pics.

My clients are amazed at how well it works. I use the BIG 1/2" staples and put 2 or 3 in. If it feels loose at any point, I add a staple.

I suppose you could make a hole and hang it on a hook or nail as well, but the staples keep it flat and solid.

Make any sense?

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
I'm in NJ, my plants are in Florida..
...should I call my friend who's using my house right...
maja127
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
drich30099
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
TR Hovey dwarf papaya plants
This year I branched out and grew two varieties of...
happy_fl_gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™