how to deal with the rough skin on some figs

greendesertAugust 3, 2010

I've been gorging myself on figs. I lost count how many pounds. Now I don't know for sure the variety. I have a small Black Mission fig tree and there's a person nearby with a large tree with a variety that I would guess it is also the Black Mission. I eat them with the skin and all (sorry, but I absolutelly do not have the patience to peel them) besides, I understand that the skin contains a lot of the nutrients, so I'm not going to throw that away. But my big problem is that after eating a few, my tongue and mouth feel like they're on fire. The skin of these figs especially around the bottom feels like sandpaper. I assume that's not true of all varieties. I noticed that if I let them sit for a few days the skin loses some of that harsh feel, but then I like to eat them right off the tree.

I guess I now understand why figs are not as popular as apples for example. A lot of people get irritated from the latex and now I've learned that my tongue gets roughed up too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wildforager(5b-WI)

Oh yea, I've been there too! Its like your tongue and lips have become super sensitive and raw from the peach fuzz on the figs. If you keep then in the fridge for a day or 2 that seems to help. I choose to take the fuzzier kinds and make jam or can them whole in a syrup. Its so nice to open a jar in the winter when all the figs are dormant. I'm getting hungry, I gotta go.

-Little John

Bookmark   August 3, 2010 at 1:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noss(Zone 9a Lafayette, LA)

You can just split the figs open and scrape the insides off the skin with your teeth. Works great that way. That's what we used to do when I was little and eating my grandparents' figs from their trees. That way, you don't have to peel them.

Vivian

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 12:50AM
More Discussions
Creeping Fig permanent setback
I planted a creeping fig vine a dozen years ago and...
grubby_AZ
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Lob Injir (Myrna or Calimyrna cuttings)
I'l like have cuttings of Lob Injir (....), I've allowable...
sergnic
rootless cuttings are producing buds
March. Zone 9b. Small bare tree in pot. Black Mission. Five...
four
The Great Boulder Fig Planting Experiment
Let me first say I'm not a fan of rooting figs inside....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Sponsored Products
Okapi Stripe Runner 2'6" x 8' - LIGHT BLUE
$229.00 | Horchow
Ambella Home Collection - Eden Console Table - 06795-850-001
Great Furniture Deal
St Charles Clear One-Light Pendant
$262.50 | Bellacor
In Production Pendant Lights
$649.99 | Dot & Bo
Pallucco | Fortuny Rubelli Floor Lamp
YLighting