Strange acting Celeste

genecolin(Zone 9, LA)August 14, 2010

Below are pictures of my Celeste tree. This is the tree that I tried to get rid of a few years back by cutting all of its branches off almost to the main trunk. All that remained were nubs of branches 2 inches around. Because I couldn't get to finishing the job before it sprouted, I let it grow out. This year it gave me some great figs. It season is past and like all Celeste around the tree is starting to set itself up for winter. As you can see in the first 2 pictures the tree is losing it's leaves and planning to go dormant. But..... a branch on the other side of the tree is putting on figs and is still growing. Could cutting it back so much have reprogrammed the trees growth habits. It's got me puzzled. It's acting like two different trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noss(Zone 9a Lafayette, LA)

Gene,

With Celestes, there's no telling what they'll do. I have the Celeste in the back yard growing in a bush form and there are four trunks coming from the ground. As you look at the tree from the side, the two trunks to the right are winding down and the two to the left are still growing bright green tips like they don't know it's time to slow down. That side of the tree gets more sun all day, than the right side does. I'm still getting a few ripe figs here and there on the whole tree, though. They seem a little drier, but still good and maybe a bit sweeter--They have that "fall" taste to them.

Vivian

Bookmark   August 15, 2010 at 3:57AM
More Discussions
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
I am new here, Mathew from New York
Hi All, I just got interested in Figs and am just starting...
mat9
the f4f forum
I hope the folks leaving f4f will come here as I will...
mgginva
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Rooting Question
Hello All - I am trying to root some fig cuttings....
briana_2006
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™