looking for rooted figs

dtrade83August 16, 2010

I have a large fig tree that I think is a texas everberrying and have grown to love the figs every morning

but I have been wanting to try growing a few other types but I can not seem to find any where I can buy them for less then $8 or so. Is there anywhere I can find rooted cuttings or small plants cheap

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
genecolin(Zone 9, LA)

Dtrade, Almost Eden sell nice small plants for 10 dollars. I've bought some on sale last year for 9 dollars. All of them grew into some very nice trees and have produced figs this year. I hope this helps.'gene'

Here is a link that might be useful: almost eden

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 10:16PM
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

For $8, you can barely buy a few petunias. I would think that $8 for rooted fig cuttings would be fair.

Unless what they are selling is a little stick with a few water roots, which I would be reluctant to pay anything for. To me, a rooted cutting has enough roots established in soil that you know it is going to make it.

I've never seen figs for as cheap as $8. But if you tell where you are located, maybe someone knows of a hobbyist who sells cuttings.

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 7:18PM
dieseler

Sometimes 1 gets lucky, here is plant i bought from nursery called Jerusalem fig. Basically unknown to owner of nursery here in next town over, a plant was given to nursery from a greek man from his neighborhood and propagated.I was able to see parent plants not for sale and they had figs on them not ripe at the time of purchase. So i take the chance. Total cost 9.27 with tax last one he had.
Very healthy roots i cut open carefully pot and save all roots then transplanted into 3 g container.

Martin

Ebay Name
Dieseler6z92

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 8:15PM
noss(Zone 9a Lafayette, LA)

Martin,

What a great find and this is such a pretty little fig tree, which looks very healthy on top, as well. I think the shape of the leaves is beautiful. Please keep us informed how this little one does for you as it grows.

noss

Bookmark   August 17, 2010 at 11:05PM
foolishpleasure

I bought one Fig Plant from Amazon (Nursery in Chicago)for $10, It was shipped in small pot and I transplanted it into a bigger pot. It is doing very well. Thant is the way to buy Figs. Be aware of the so called 3Gallons bare foot and cost $50 dollar. It is a gimmick to waste time and money it does not work. Don't buy Barefoot.
Does any one knows an orchard within 75 miles from Annapolis Maryland. I want to buy trees with dirt on the root. I will pick it up.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 12:52AM
dtrade83

Ok so 10 is a good price range

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 10:44AM
peterknop(z7 VA)

We have a large fig grove with over four hundred tress in Chantilly, Va. We sell fresh figs retail and wholesale as well as potted material at times.
Bamboofabrics@yahoo.com. And www.Ticonderoga.com

PS for original poster, zone 7 covers a multitude of sins and places. A state would be helpful as zones 7 do differ a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ticonderoga

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 12:14PM
foolishpleasure

Where is your address Chantilly Va. If you can give full address including zip code to get driving directions, You can email me at afadley1@gmail.com

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Just checking -- maintaining figs at shrub size
I shouldn't have too much trouble keeping a couple...
Kristin
Figs not growing further after fruit set?
I bought three fig trees (Adam, Cape Brown and White...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Fruits on Cuttings
Should I snip off these figs off the cuttings? I'm...
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
Celeste Figs - Trees or bushes?
Is there only 1 variety of Celeste Fig, or does it...
pcbaulch
rootless cuttings are producing buds
March. Zone 9b. Small bare tree in pot. Black Mission. Five...
four
Sponsored Products
Design Element DEC071A Portland 61-in. Double Bathroom Vanity Set - DEC071A
Hayneedle
Taboo Metal and Glass Bar with Shelving
Zuri Furniture
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Paloma
Home Depot
Demery Solid Bronze Cabinet Pull
Signature Hardware
Transcendent Rectangular: 5 Ft. 6 In. x 8 Ft. 6 In. Rug
Bellacor