Can I grow Common Rue in Calgary?

ostrich(3a AB)August 4, 2014

I just received a very nice Common Rue in a pot from my family in BC. I love this plant! Not only does it look good, it can be used as a herb too:

However, can I grow this in the ground here in Calgary? Or does it need to stay in the pot over winter? I have tried to search for this information online but I have not had much luck so far. I would very much appreciate your advice - thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Not sure how it will fair the winters but they are a great host for lots of butterflies. You may find you will need more to feed all the caterpillars, if you so choose.

SCG

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 9:53PM
donna_in_sask

That looks a lot like Artemisia "Powis Castle", and I know that one is hardy....so if your rue plant doesn't make it, try Artemisia. It got a bit weedy for me and I didn't like the smell, so I don't have it in my garden anymore.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 10:19PM
Pudge 2b

It appears to be about a Zone 4 hardiness. Certainly worth trying if you have a nice and sunny protected spot near the foundation. Seeds are always available at Richter's Herbs

Here is a link that might be useful: Richter's

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 10:57PM
ostrich(3a AB)

Thanks so much, pudge! I appreciate the information and will see whether I have a spot for it, or whether I should leave it in the pot to overwinter. My problem is that all of the areas by the foundation are south facing - though it's very sunny, there is hardly any snow cover during winter so it may not be the best spot for borderline plants. Let me think about that more. Thanks again!

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 12:22AM
More Discussions
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Tradescantia Overwintering and Cultural requirement
Tradescantia �Blue and Gold�...
dongdong
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' hardy on the prairies?
I don't recall if I've ever seen this plant alive and...
twrosz
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™