Can I plant Ben Sarek black currents in raised box bed ?

lyneyaAugust 20, 2009

I live in a zone 3-4 area and have the opportunity to get some ben sarek black currents but the only place i can put them is a long raised box bed. Will they freeeze and die in a raised bed? should I even get them know or should I wait and see if I can find some in the spring?

Can you tell I'm a newbe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

How big is the raised planter. If it's a big one yes but put them in the middle of the planter and mulch them with dry leaves after the ground is frozen a bit. You do it then so mice, voles and little critters don't get in there and make a winter nest and feed on your plants all winter. If you wait until the round is frozen a bit they will have already gone elsewhere.

Back to the planter. The trouble with over wintering in a planter or pot is the freeze thaw cycle and that kills plants. The sun warms the outside and it thaws a bit then freezes at night. You want the ground to remain frozen.

And there-in lies your answer-- if the bed is big enough that the ground around the plants will stay frozen then go ahead. The mulch will help keep it frozen and protect the roots too

Bookmark   August 21, 2009 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Posting a picture from photobucket.
Over in the hosta forum I've learned how to post a...
north53 Z1b MB
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
winter growing...getting over the blues
Well I am really late starting this year as we normally...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Grapes that survived (zone 2b)
all my grapes pulled through, except for a straggly...
intotheark
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™