Growing Glamini Glads?

nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)August 12, 2010

Hmmmm. My Glamini Glads aren't quite what I'd call mini. Does anyone else grow them?

Mine are almost all about 3 feet tall and need staking. I bought them because they were supposed to be half the height of regular ones and no staking required. Perhaps if I'd planted them in tougher soil they'd be upright on their own?

The purple Naomi's are a disappointing blah dull washed out mauve color, but the Charlotte and Tom are quite pretty.

Anyone else had better luck?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

I guess nobody here grows these things, either because they're too tall or glads aren't popular anymore.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 1:54PM
paeonut(2a SK)

I grew a few Glamini 'Charlotte' in 2012 for the first time. They were reasonably short if I remember correctly, but they were floppy and leaned badly, worse than some of my taller ones. Possibly I planted them a bit too shallowly. I never stake glads for lack of time and materials.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 9:12PM
Pudge 2b

I have been starting glads early, get them to about 8" high and then transplant them deep so that only about an inch of green sticks up out of the soil. That keeps them upright quite nicely. . Alternatively plant them in a deep trench and fill it in as the glads grow.

Sorry, I have not grown the Glamini although I almost ordered them one year - I thought if they were smaller, I would be able to include them in a bouquet. Guess that wouldn't have worked after all.

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 7:38PM
weeper_11(2b SK)

Hey NAF, I grew them for one year, but gave up because I wanted all the space for perennials. I just don't feel like planting and digging up bulbs every spring and fall! Maybe at some point I can have a cutting garden, but I won't have time to dig a bed for that any time soon so...

From what I had read back when I was growing them, Pudge got it right for how to keep them from flopping - trench them, and fill in the trench as they grow.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
Carmine Jewel Dwarf Cherry Tree
Hi I was just wondering if anyone has grown one of...
troman1973
Raspberries for zone 4
Hi Far N gardeners, I'm not exactly "far"...
eatsivy
Magnolia xloebner "Spring Welcome"
Hi, Does anyone know where to get this Magnolia in...
pricklypoppy
Native plum wood collection along with many others.
If anybody in my area calgary or alberta is looking...
mattpf
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
Sponsored Products
Plateau 75 Inch SR-V TV Stand in Espresso - SR-V 75 (E)
$899.99 | Hayneedle
Berry Toys 30 in. Electric Guitar Set - Red - MKAGT30-ST3-RD
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Sterling Accord 72270106 60W x 77H in. Shower Module with Age in Place Backers -
$989.15 | Hayneedle
Camaflexi Mission Headboard Day Bed - C211NT
$405.90 | Hayneedle
A C Pacific Fiona Accent Chair - FIONA ACCENT CHAIR
$364.99 | Hayneedle
ViaVolt 22 in. 400-Watt HPS/MH White Grow Light System with Timer/Remote Ballast
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™