Blue and Yellow

thinman(Z5 MI)July 22, 2013

I have a real fondness for blue and yellow. It probably goes back to my days as a Cub Scout. :) I had the shirt, the cap, and the yellow neckerchief with a brass slider, and at the end of the year we had the Blue and Gold Banquet, where we got the badges that we had earned. It was a tremendously big deal. I try to remember how it was then, when I'm dealing with my grand kids now.

The day lily is one that I believe was bred locally.

ThinMan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

My favorite colors also.

I was so proud the day my oldest grandson became an eagle scout.

kathy

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 2:19PM
schoolhouse_gw

I gravitate towards blue and yellow together also, but I'm very picky about the shade of yellow.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 5:25PM
grandmachris

They're the color of the Swedish flag! Yea!

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 9:46PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Not really blue and yellow, more chartreuse and purple.

Purple Wave petunias and melampodium.

Little Honey hydrangea and purple basil.

tj

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 3:35AM
cyn427(z7aN. VA)

Husband was an Eagle Scout, son was a Cub Scout, and grandmother was Swedish, so yes, I love blues and yellows together. Very pretty.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 4:42PM
janie58(5a)

Not really blue and yellow (more of an orange) but nice together ... bachelor buttons & bright lights cosmos.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 9:37PM
thinman(Z5 MI)

Those look great, Janie!

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 8:34PM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

TM, love that combo. Are those delphiniums, or larkspur?
Do you/have you done larkspur from seed? Indoors or direct sow? I'd like to try it, especially if that is larkspur in your photo. Is that in the new bed? I didn't notice daylilies in there. Thanks for any info!

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 8:50PM
gardenweed_z6a

Balloon flower & coreopsis along with daylilies make an impressive show in late July. I do like the combination but prefer blue & white in my current garden. Can't say it'll always be my preference but balloon flowers have been my favorites these past 8 years at least.

My son was a scout back in the day so we did the blue & gold thing years ago along with the soap box derby. Cherished memories of parenthood.

Pretty pic thinman--thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 9:05PM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

Perennial morning glory and butterfly vine. Both can be bullies, so I have to be diligent about keeping them in control.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 10:11AM
thinman(Z5 MI)

TJ, sorry I am late getting to your post. I really enjoyed your beautiful combinations. You must have outstanding gardens.

Thyme, those are delphinium. I have done larkspur from seed, but I haven't done it well. It seems to work best when the plants self seed in the fall and the seed just sits there all winter. I have a patch of purple larkspur that keeps growing each year. This is in a different bed than my new one - one I have had going for a while.

Gardenweed, it's funny you should mention balloon flowers, as I started some blue ones from seed this year and they are all ready to put in, if I can decide on a spot. I haven't grown them before and am looking forward to seeing them next year.

Kathy, those morning glories look great with the butterfly vine, not that I will ever see that combo here in northern Michigan. I've grown Heavenly Blue morning glories - what a great blue they are.

Thank you all for taking the time to comment and add to my post.

TM

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
Boxwood not looking good
It's blowing snow and cold here today and the boxwood...
schoolhouse_gw
reminder of spring
post your spring pics from last year This post was...
davids10 z7a nv.
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Well, good Saturday morning, Cottagers. It is a brilliantly...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
An Irish Cottage Garden.
Not my own Irish Cottage Garden this time,..i have...
nulty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™