Runaway rugosa!

northspruce(z3a MB CDA)August 25, 2010

Three years ago (or four?) I planted an own-root rugosa, Agnes. I thought it was going to be a nice, tidy, really prickly bush. I was WRONG. This year it just got possessed and took off growing and it's towering over my head. I looked it up on Helpmefind... how did I miss this?

"Armed with thorns. Height of 4' to 8' 2" (120 to 250 cm). Width of up to 5' (up to 150 cm)"

Ummm 8'2" isn't far off! In my current garden it seems that anything hybrid tea or floribunda has no will to live, whereas anything else - shrub, Explorer, rugosa - is absolutely going insane. I'm going to have to prune Polstjarnan off my shed roof this fall...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

This is a good problem to have, Gil! LOL Unfortunately, all my roses are pretty normal. :)

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 7:34AM
leo_prairie_view(2B Manitoba)

Sounds impressive. Several of my roses are that tall but none of the rugosas. How much bloom do you get for all that bush, in other words is it really worth all that space? Also, where did you find it? I have not seen it offered except at Cornhill in New Brunswick and shipping from there has been too hard on the roses I have tried from them and taken years to recover.
Leo

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 3:13PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Leo, it bloomed well this spring, before the big growth spurt. It was only about 3-4' tall then and bushy. Two canes took off to 8' and there has been a small amount of rebloom over the summer. Here it is in August with my 3' DD for scale. It blends in with the spruce tree but it goes exactly to the top of the photo.

I think I will prune the tall parts back some in the spring and encourage it to bush out more. Where Elizabeth is standing is a new part of the garden, I didn't plant anything there this year. I'm still thinking what to put there.

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 7:15PM
More Discussions
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Heat Mats
How many of you use a heat mat for seed germination? Our...
nutsaboutflowers
Grapes that survived (zone 2b)
all my grapes pulled through, except for a straggly...
intotheark
Primocane raspberries? Zone 3 north of Edmonton
Does anyone around Edmonton grow a primocane raspberry?...
lindz6
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™