Figs from reliable, pollinated seed?

jdreinsteinAugust 20, 2010

I have a contact in Turkey who has several Turkish and other varietal seeds from fruits pollinated by the wasp. They do germination grow-outs to test for trueness of seed and fertility, and they claim upwards of 75% germination.

My questions are:

1) How quickly could I expect a fig to grow from germinated seedling to small sapling (about a foot tall)?

2) Are there other perils associated with growing fig trees from seed that would make this unappealing?

Thanks for any help - you can never trust the salesman.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thisisme(az9b)

There is no such thing as reliable, pollinated seed.

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 8:21PM
mountainman0826(z8B TX)

The fig wasp (Blastophaga Psenes) is present in Turkey, but is not present in Oklahoma. Therefore, any seedlings that require caprification (fertilization by the fig wasp) will not produce fruit in Oklahoma. A percentage of the seedlings will be caprifigs and probably not edible. Most of your fig seedlings will probably not produce edible fruit in Oklahoma. In order to determine which (if any) produce edible fruit, you will have to grow the seedlings for several years. It would be much more efficient to obtain cuttings from a known variety of figs. In 2 or 3 years, you will probably have some figs to sample.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 10:49PM
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

Here's the problem that I see.

If you are growing pollinated seed, what you will get is a fig variety that requires pollination to set fruit. Unless you have wild fig wasps living in your area, your new trees will not be able to set fruit for you.

If you want to try to grow the seed as a fun project, just to see what you get, then I don't see any reason not to try it. If you want nice fruit, your safest bet is to buy some nice young trees of a named variety that has already proven itself to produce good figs in your area.

If you like to propagate your own plants, then buy or beg some cuttings of proven varieties and root them yourself.

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 3:27PM
More Discussions
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
I think I poisoned all my new baby figs :/
I had decided to lightly fertilize all my new batch...
Aaron
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
Hardy Chicago
Been enjoying ripe figs from our inground Hardy Chicago and...
dieseler
How to prune a Ficus Lyrata.
Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum, I hope there is...
Goldie_1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™