Lots of wasp!

Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)August 10, 2014

Here, never seen this many I think,...liking some of the equipment from the honey extraction.

Thinking to make some traps,..lots on the net,..what works best for you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Konrad, one down side to the area I live in is wasps, lots of wasps. We have a nice long, dry season in which they thrive. I have tried every trap on the market and every trap you can make. The best trap I have found is from 'rescue' While expensive it outproduces the other traps, often 10-1. I use their scent ball plus a piece of luncheon meat with some jam on it.

If your going to make your own trap make sure the entrance hole is no bigger than a pencil around. More escape than one would think and this is where 'rescues' trap shines. If you are going to use the 2 litre pop bottle method make a heavy paper cone to reduce the size of the bottle opening.

For bait they are usually looking for one of two things, sugar or protein. I tend to put both in to cover all my bases, jam or orange pop (hummingbird food) for sugar and luncheon meat seems to draw them in the best for protein. Looks like you have lots of sugar based bait!!!

*edit* I forgot to mention that if you can paint the traps yellow they will attract more.

Good luck.

SCG

This post was edited by SouthCountryGuy on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 12:44

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 12:12PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Thanks so much,..this is good info.!

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 1:33PM
twrosz

There are wasps and bumble bees everywhere this year, of course due to the warm dry weather. I have been stung several times and a friend down the road received 23 stings when he disturbed an in ground hornets nest while whipper snippering.

There's some good wild saskatoons on my property, though I have needed to be very watchful for bee nests. I had only begun picking on my third saskatoon bush when I could hear loud humming noise above the other noises in the neighborhood, sure enough I had been stepping upon a ground nest, no stings thankfully, though I did move away quickly!

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 12:49AM
More Discussions
What type of apples do northern hardy rootstocks produce?
Has anyone left various known rootstocks grow to see...
sandbur2
Has anyone tried bale gardens?
Due to my rampant quack grass this summer I took out...
CLBlakey
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
crabapple trees
The woodpeckers have done a real number on one of my...
marricgardens
Magnolia xloebner "Spring Welcome"
Hi, Does anyone know where to get this Magnolia in...
pricklypoppy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™