Tiger Lily or Day Lily?

Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)August 22, 2014

Didn't know there was a difference until talked about it here recently, ..still not sure.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

It's a tiger lily. Daylilies all have long, grassy leaves that come up from a single point at the ground, whereas lilies have them arranged up the stem.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 12:02AM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

That's quite a garden of tiger lilies. :) I moved a patch that size from the side of this old house to the front garden about 8 years ago. They haven't got quite that big yet. :)

Ginny

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 12:52AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Thank so much,..kind of figured but wanted to make sure since these are threatened by the Lily Beetle, anything I should do or not, or look for. We only got these, will bringing in more lilies threaten the survival of these?

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 1:01AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

If you get lily beetles, you might notice the bright red adults first, or you might notice that the lower leaves are ragged and then find little clumps of slime on them (those are the larvae).

I would say that buying new lilies would definitely increase your chances of bringing in lily beetles. Personally, I wouldn't invest a cent in lilies at this point, because with the beetles it's only a matter of time. Plant things that don't have a known pest coming for them.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 10:24AM
don555(3a)

That's really unfortunate. I have a patch of species Tiger lilies, similar to Konrad's, and I'd really hate to lose them to some beetle. I've grown Tiger lilies since I was a kid, and they've always seemed resistant to just about every bug and every disease. Is there a reliable treatment for lily beetles?

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 3:37AM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

I've had nary a one in my gardens and I have many lilies including tiger lilies. Maybe they don't like my yard?? :)

Ginny

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 4:27AM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Fortunately the reports of the beetle are still low in Edmonton and Alberta. All the sites figure it is just a matter of time before we all see them. Hopefully they come up with a way to control them that doesn't do as much harm as the beetle does. They are decimating the native lilies where they find them.

SCG who is just starting to get into Asiatic and Daylily's.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 11:17AM
ostrich(3a AB)

konrad, I have the same tiger lilies and they are just blooming now, but since they were planted last year, they are nothing as spectacular as yours!

I have not seen any beetle here for them.... hopefully, they won't be here!!!

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 11:35AM

Thank you all!
The Hummers love these, got a shot with my little pocket camera today.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 9:27PM
don555(3a)

Great shot! I'm jealous. I've got a Tiger lily patch like that maybe 10 metres from two hummingbird feeders and I haven't seen one at any of them. Had one come by the front of the house to check out the clematis a few weeks ago, but didn't have a feeder out front then.

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 1:32AM
rina_

Konrad

Your Tiger lilies are beautiful.

We have the lily beetles around, if you don't watch they will decimate the leaves. Looks awful.
If you spot any beetles, even one, just squash it (yuck!) or drop into jar with some water in it.
Anytime there is a black gunk on the underside of the leaves (that is actually excrement with larvae in it-yuck again!), knock it off with a spray from hose. Larvae will die if not on the leaves-no food. That's best way to control them. (See photo what happens if you leave them on...)
Most important is to get rid of adults so they don't breed.
Hope you never see them...Rina

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 12:42AM

Thank you all for the advise!

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 11:43PM
More Discussions
Cilantro tricks?
Does anyone have any advice to get more leaves out...
northspruce
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Primocane raspberries? Zone 3 north of Edmonton
Does anyone around Edmonton grow a primocane raspberry?...
lindz6
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™