Is Floridas spring time cool enough for tomato blossoms?

EcopalFebruary 23, 2012

Hey Everybody

Is it too late to buy a Pink Brandywine starter plant? And by that I mean with winter coming to an end temperatures are going to be too high and humid for tomato blossoms. My Cherokee Purple has a big tomato on it as well as many blossoms surrounding it. In Florida it seems that winter is the only time tomato blossoms can set fruit. At least that�s what I have learned. And today it was almost 90 degrees. My Cherokee Purple looked wilted for a while! What do you guys think? PS Im not interested in growing varieties like heat wave or anything.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

I guess it depends on where in Florida you live. Florida is divided into 3 regions. North, Central and South. I live just above North Florida. It was 84 here today. 15 degrees above average. Our last frost date is March 31. Most poeple plant way before then. Find out from your local agricultural center what tomatoes do best in your area and when to plant them.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 8:07PM
johnjsr(9A DeLand)

Ecopal, if you want advice you need to tell us where you live. Then you can get some good advice from folks who live in your region.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 2:10AM
Ecopal

Sorry about that. I live in south Florida at Hialeah. And after another very hot day one of my blossoms fell. I moved it to a less sunny location and hopefully that will help.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 3:15PM
sumala(9 fl)

Sounds like you are growing in a pot? Make sure you keep the pot cool and if your night temperatures drop to below 75, the plants will still set fruit.

I live about 45 miles north of Palm Beach and I was picking brandywines until the end of June last year.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 5:47AM
peggy_g(Melbourne,Fl Z9)

This guide is from the Univ. of Fl. EXCELLENT!!! Page down and you'll fing planting dates for North, Central, and South Fl. I have this link saved to my favorites list as it is full of information for Fl. vegetable growers. Hope this helps:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vh021

Here is a link that might be useful: Fl. Vegetable Gardening Guide

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
Yacon rhizomes
Hey Carmen, You out there? CYE pronto, I have your...
tomncath
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
Planting Spices
Hey folks, I was doing a bit of google searching, which...
silver4490
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™