Frost ): & the Geraniums I wanted to overwinter

fillagirlSeptember 18, 2011

Hello, I have overwintered geraniums for the past few years, and usually get them pulled before frost hits.

I didn't cover then or bring them in and on Tues. night I think it went down to -4 here. Today, I pulled out all my geraniums from their pots and a drying them out. Some of them have leaves that are droopy and "yucky"...do you think those will survive and grow next Spring? I don't have experience with this and am hoping that they can be saved, they were beautiful geraniums.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don555(3a)

Tough call. The plants themselves (stems, crown, roots) will still be alive, but they will have less energy to draw on over the winter without the leaves. I'd cut off the yucky leaves and try overwintering them, they might make it.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 2:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

When I bring my geraniums in for the winter, I dig them up, shake off the excess dirt, trim back the feeder roots and the top by about 1/2. I do this because they are too big otherwise and to help get rid of some insect eggs in the soil or on the plant. I then repot them and water with an inseticidal soap mix. I used to store mine in the garage for the winter, we kept it at just above freezing. I withheld water until about Feb. when I wanted them to actively start growing again. Hope this helps. Marg

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 8:51AM
More Discussions
Grapes that survived (zone 2b)
all my grapes pulled through, except for a straggly...
intotheark
Heat Mats
How many of you use a heat mat for seed germination? Our...
nutsaboutflowers
Seeds
Can't wait for spring....
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
Anyone Growing Peaches in the far north??
Hi, I bought two contender peach trees last year. Everyone...
troman1973
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™