Best Year Ever For Figs in S Central PA (Zone 6)??

bob17257(Z6/ S Central PA)August 21, 2012

I've had two fig bushes (in-ground) for almost 40 years, and they have never been so nice as this year. We had an exceptionally mild winter, an early spring, and a hot summer. The bushes are loaded with healthy figs. I feel certain that they will ripen earlier than usual this year.

Do other growers in Zone 6 have the same situation?

Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobp299

I'm in North Delaware about 32 miles south of Phila. and we also had about the same weather as you.I to have a lot of figs and my tree (about 5yrs old) just took off this year. I usually get my first ripe fig around labor day. All green right now but tree seems to still want to grow.I'll let you know if I get any ripe figs early this year

Good Luck
Bob P

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 5:50PM
bonsaist(Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa)

It has been a good year for figs for us here as well. I've been eaten figs since June. I had a good breba crop and now the main crop been setting since mid July.

Bass

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 5:28AM
bob17257(Z6/ S Central PA)

I picked my first ripe fig yesterday. Normally I don't get the first fig until early September. The peach harvest in this area is also unusually early this year. We are at the mercy of the weather.

Bob

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 10:54AM
bobp299

Just got my first riped fig and will pick it tomorrow. I'm about 9-10 days early this year (Northern Delaware) from last two years and have plenty on the tree.Might be a great year. Good Luck to all

Bob P

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 5:08PM
oldmark

My fig, a Celeste, near Reading, PA, started very early, but I have not had anywhere near the number I am used to picking. I got 5 this morning,,,I usually get several pounds at this time of the year. I still have about 13 pounds frozen from previous years...I think I may not have cut the canes enough-blicked sunlight and air to the central plant. I got very dense leaves, but little fruit. I have not been very active in the garden this summer, and I hope this will be just this season...this is a 10 year old tree, and has been great for most of those years.

mark

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 11:10AM
ekierk

Bob17257 Do you keep you fig inprotected during the winter?

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 10:17PM
foolishpleasure

This season is unusual October 6 yesterday I picked over 30 ripened figs I could not believe my eyes I thought they will never ripen.

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 3:31AM
bob17257(Z6/ S Central PA)

Hi erierk. Many years ago I gave my figs winter protection, but I concluded that it was a waste of time and energy. If the winter turned out to be excessively cold, with extended periods of sub-zero weather, the bushes froze off above the ground despite the protection. If the winter was mild the bushes didn't freeze off. So I gave up on winter protection. Last winter was the mildest in my memory, and there was almost no freeze-off. And I am getting a bumper crop of figs this year. I have already picked over 300 figs from my two bushes. The highest count I ever had in past years was 130.

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Anyone growing Ischia fig trees?
Just bought a Ischia fig tree at Lowe's. Suppose to...
Sueanne75
My Fig Tree needs help! leaf syptoms
I have attached a photo here. Does anyone know what...
sundayafternoonblues
fig question
Has anyone tried to grow fig olympian and did they...
boydanny
Just checking -- maintaining figs at shrub size
I shouldn't have too much trouble keeping a couple...
Kristin
Sponsored Products
Paulina Satin Nickel 86-inch to 120-inch Curtain Rod
$71.95 | Bellacor
Handwoven Ivory Mandara New Zealand Wool Shag Rug (5' x 7'6)
Overstock.com
Imperial Cat Mustache Scratch n Shape Scratcher - 01270
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Ergohuman Executive Mid Back Chair in Blue
$610.50 | LexMod
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave Mojavi Thick Weave 34 in. O
Home Depot
Provence Round Outdoor Outdoor Bistro Table - Black, 30" Round, Patio Furniture
$849.00 | FRONTGATE
Standard Waterfall Cedar Chest
Fifthroom.com
Softest Rug 6' x 9' - SILVER
$1,599.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™