Seemed like a good year for pumpkins...

don555(3a)September 30, 2011

Pumpkins always a bit dicey in Edmonton, and I was worried about all the cold wet weather in May, June and July. But fear not, August and September more than made up for that. Now I've got a serious carving job ahead of me for Halloween...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Good job, Don! You have some lovely pumpkins there!

Wasn't that great here. I only got two small ones. One started rotting on the vine and the other i picked yesterday only to find that it was soft on one side too. You may have to ship out one of those for me for Halloweed! LOL

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 8:21AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Wow! Nice ones Don... they're nice and uniform too. Are you going to carve them all or sell some?

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 8:58AM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Beautiful pumpkins!! I'm comin' to your house for Halloweeny!!!! I'm sure you are enjoying this incredible fall we are having! TFS!! :)

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 9:00AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

That's beautiful Don!
I've never tried growing them, I love pumpkin pie.

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 7:22PM
don555(3a)

Thanks all! 7 of those pumpkins are Jack-O-Lantern pumpkins (produced from 2 plants), and those will be carved for Halloween. Last year we had 5 carved pumpkins, and I think we can handle two more :) Prior to last year there was a house down the street that would set up an elaborate Halloween display in early to mid-October, and I used to sneak down late at night under cover of darkness to add a few pumpkins anonymously to their display. Last year they didn't do their Halloween display, but if they start it up again this year, a midnight-run is probably back in the cards :-)

The 14 other pumpkins in the pic are pie-pumpkins. It's been a long time since I've grown them, but I'll be growing them again next year for sure. 14 pumpkins from 4 plants, each pumpkin yields about enough pumpkin filling (after cooking, scooping, food-processing) to produce one pie. And indeed it makes a wonderful pie! First pie is now gone, next pie is just a few days away for Thanksgiving!

Bookmark   October 4, 2011 at 2:52AM
More Discussions
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' hardy on the prairies?
I don't recall if I've ever seen this plant alive and...
twrosz
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
Emails from Houzz?
Has anyone else gotten one? Is it for real?
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Seeds
Can't wait for spring....
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Tradescantia Overwintering and Cultural requirement
Tradescantia �Blue and Gold�...
dongdong
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™