Summer arrives

marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern OntarioSeptember 4, 2009

Well, summer has finally arrived in Northwestern Ontario! Warm temperatures and mostly dry weather for at least another week - it hasn't been like this since that one freak week in June!

Can i (please) deadhead my roses one more time for more blooms? :) Whaddya think?

Marcia,

wondering which hemisphere we're in now!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neil76(4)

Deadheading might not hurt, but I'd be surprised if you squeezed out another bloom, though I sure don't blame you for trying. Pruning roses in the fall generally isn't recommended in books I've read on roses. New, soft growth can be damaged if the weather should go south on us again. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: North Country Gardening

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 7:55AM
sierra_z2b

Hi Marcia,

I deadheaded all my roses last week and yes there are definately more buds comming along.

I know our weather has been different than yours this year. But this is one of the best rose years I have ever had here. Most of the canes were weighted down there were so many flowers.....and that was on all the different kinds of roses that I have. I really have never seen such a display here before and some of these roses are a good 10 years old. It was a nice surprise.

Deadhead and dance. LOL!

Hi Neil. Pruning and deadheading are two different things. In my area we have to deadhead to help prevent the bears comming into the rose hips in late summer and fall. Deadheading hasn't hurt the roses at all. Now if you prune, you could definately lose your rose over the winter...for sure.

Sierra

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 9:36AM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Martin Frobisher is the nicest it's ever been and since it's right there when i get out of the car, i'm always deadheading it. I've been holding back for the past couple of weeks but i really want to get a few more blooms out of it. Same with Hansa. It's had a rough year and deserves to have some more flowers. Hawkeye Belle is just setting buds now - it has one tiny bloom. I think if i deadheaded Champlain, he might get a few more blooms.

Guess what i'll be doing tomorrow! :)

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 9:44PM
shazam_z3

You can deadhead Hansa right till hard frost. I've been doing that for a couple of years now.

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 8:26PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Champlain has an awesome amount of buds right now! I can't wait for him to bloom again!

Marcia,
camping outside, camera in hand :>

Bookmark   September 7, 2009 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' hardy on the prairies?
I don't recall if I've ever seen this plant alive and...
twrosz
Disappearing seedlings, help requested
I have never had problems with damping off only losing...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
Primocane raspberries? Zone 3 north of Edmonton
Does anyone around Edmonton grow a primocane raspberry?...
lindz6
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™