some interesting plants

pnbrownFebruary 6, 2013

that I got from a place in ocala, called Eldon's tropicals. The owner is super nice and seems very knowledgable about unusual plants.

I'm most excited about some cold-hardy pineapple (down to 25deg!), decorative as well with red foliage. Some other very tough ornamentals: something called the banana plant with yellowish flowers, something called broken necklace which is apparently a native, a non-invasive wysteria, and some unusually-colored elephant ears, and Abyssinian banana.

All supposed to be care-free and drought-proof once established. We'll see!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Your banana sounds like Chinese yellow banana, botanically named Musella lasiocarpa.

The Chinese Yellow banana is a desirable ornamental grown for its huge waxy, yellow flowers. The flowers develop on erect upright stems and can last up to 6 months.

The globe-like flowers resemble large golden lotus. The overall height of this hardy plant is 5' - 6'. It produces an abundance of typical banana leaves which evolve from a short stalk.

It presents a very tropical appearance and may also be grown indoors if you provide sufficient light and warmth. Its outdoor cultivation is the same as the Musa Basjoo banana.

If you would like to post pictures of your plants, we can most likely identify them for you - caring for a plant in the correct way is of utmost importance to being grown successfully!

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 8:49PM
RetiredFlorida(9)

Sound like a place I need to visit. I would guess your yellow flowering plant is a Michelia figo or Banana Shrub. It has a very nice fragrance but is not terribly strong.

Darren

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 9:14PM
morningloree(9b)

I have ordered from them online, will have to check them out soon. I also just came across an interesting plant, ordered some plants and a bonus Hebe speciousa tricolor was included. Had never heard of it, but it originated in New Zealand, has beautiful foliage and gets magenta racememe like flowers. I have the Lotus Banana, but mine seems stuck in a perpetual state of stagnation. I hope yours behaves better.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 9:16PM
pnbrown

I got them all in today.

I'll take some photos to post tomorrow. The so-called banana of abyssinia thing has got sort of reddish-green leaves. I read the botanical name this morning and can't remember it now. She said don't let it get afternoon sun so I have it on an east wall. Supposedly it forms a large trunk that stores water.

If the pineapples make fruit ya'll will hear me whooping next year.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 1:59PM
More Discussions
Weather permitting?
Has Clearwater/St Pete weather warmed enought to set...
Lydie
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
Mexican Flame Vine
It is conceivable that I've asked this question here...
wisconsitom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™