Dry figs on inside

Chellebelle14August 19, 2012

Looking for some suggestions - My Mission Fig is 3 years old and is doing very well. It appears to be very happy, producing big beautiful fruit. However, while I'm allowing them to ripen on the tree they do occasionally split a little but are pale strawberry colored on the inside and a bit dry. They are still sweet but not as sweet as they could be. Any ideas on what I can do to sweeten them up and make them more "juicy"?

Thanks,

Michelle

San Diego

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Michelle:

In my somewhat limited experience sweeter and juicier are not compatible. To get juicier means more water during the growth cycle or less dehydration after ripening. That equates to less sweet. Mine are sweetest by far with some dehydration after ripening and not too much water before ripening. That's how I like mine. But I haven't grown Mission, maybe it's different.

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 9:43PM
foolishpleasure

i have the same problem on one brown turkey and one celeste. the other trees produce moist, soft and sweet figs. all trees have the same enviornment and treated the same way. i am searching for a reason which i can not find. if i can not rectify the situation i will cut all the branches and use 3 or 4 feet of the trunk as a rootstock and propaginate on it branches from the good trees.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 5:34PM
Tony3

What criteria are you useing to determine ripeness?

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 12:43PM
thisisme(az9b)

Tony3 I have no idea what criteria the above posters are using. However if you were asking because you wanted to know how to tell when a fig is ripe. Just click on the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Know When a Fig Is Ripe and Ready to Pick

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree (indoor) help!
I bought a fiddle leaf fig tree from home depot just...
desdurso
How to prune a Ficus Lyrata.
Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum, I hope there is...
Goldie_1
Help please!!!
I badly need your help .why do the leaves curl and...
Kimmy Jane Santiago
Looking for Cuttings
Hi All. Been looking for fig cuttings. I have 2 Chicago...
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
I am Phil from Northern Ohio.
I am here amongst many very good fig friends and I...
peak42
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™