Potted Hostas

nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)September 19, 2011

In the spring I ordered a "grab bag" of hostas and it turns out some are larger than I was thinking they'd be. I potted them up when I received them as I didn't have a spot prepared for them yet. Well, I still haven't gotten to it, and probably won't this year.

Should I be planting them anywhere I can find a spot and then moving them in the spring, or just sinking them in their terracota pots?

Is there going to be any difference either way?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

How big are they?

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 3:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Oops. I should have said I had no idea how big they'd get in their first year, so was reluctant to just plunk them in anywhere that wasn't ready for them. They're in 8 and 10 inch terracotta pots right now.

The largest is about 14 inches around and 6 inches high with 10 leaves. Either someone here or something I read said that the amount of leaves in the first year indicated how big it would get (?) The other two are only about 8 inches around or less with 6 leaves that are fairly smallish.

I was hoping to dig a few random holes and just plunk them in, pot and all, so I could dig them up in the spring without messing with the roots.

By then hopefully I'll be ready to prepare their new home.

Is that O.K.? I could plant them somewhere if it would make their chances for survival higher.

Thanks!

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 7:15PM
More Discussions
Disappearing seedlings, help requested
I have never had problems with damping off only losing...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
Anyone Growing Peaches in the far north??
Hi, I bought two contender peach trees last year. Everyone...
troman1973
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
Cilantro tricks?
Does anyone have any advice to get more leaves out...
northspruce
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™