Lots of berries this year

beegood_gwSeptember 25, 2011

Have 5 of them in my yard. One planted by me and the others self seeded. Nice red color as most leaves are yellow around here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Is it a highbush cranberry? Beautiful fall colour! Wow! That is one the few good wild berry crops I've seen around here - the saskatoons and blueberries failed completely this year.

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 8:55PM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Five of those in one yard. How beautiful =:)

I'm still waiting for my Amur Maples to turn red. They're starting to think about turning color but everything else is still green in my yard.

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 10:01PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

There's not much turning red in my yard - things are mostly just starting - but this little maple down by the creek looks so nice now, esp. with the sun shining through. :)

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 11:11PM
rosecavalier(3 AB)

It's been a great berry harvest

...but I think I'll go walk the dog!

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 10:35AM
beegood_gw

I just finished walking the dog so now I wud love a piece of your pie. Looks way too yummy . I'll supply the coffee. Maybe even Starbucks Pumpkin spice. How does that sound. Are those the real cranberries?

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 12:28PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

LOOKING GOOD!
I have several of these high bush cranberries too, sadly, too awful taste they have...like a moldy sock, LOL.
Birds are reluctant to eat these...only as a last resort I think, have never seen them take these.

Honey berries got large this year with the good moisture we had.

Pin Cherries was good too, but only on the south side of the bush, sheltered from hail.

Black Currant

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 8:10PM
beegood_gw

I used to make syrup and jelly out of them and quite liked it. I don't know if I can compare them to moldy socks but will take your word for it. In the winter when they are frozen they actually are a nice treat when X/C skiing.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 8:45PM
don555(3a)

I've never been much for highbush cranberries either, but I understand that they become sweeter and much more appealing after a couple of hard frosts.

Konrad's fruit crops never cease to amaze...

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 3:32AM
rosecavalier(3 AB)

Beegood - these are indeed the "real" cranberry...totally different from the high bush forms...from nature's garden... and you have to get down on your knees to pick them. Years ago, the northern Alberta pioneers called the pie "Mock Cherry Pie" and it has become our family's favorite surpassing wild blueberry. It is the epitomy of "slow food" but the memory of the exquisite flavor...yes, even better with coffee...serves to stimulate one to collect them each fall.

Konrad - your photos are fabulous - and I chuckled when you described the smell of the high bush cranberry as "mouldy socks" - we always referred to the jelly as "dirty sock jam"! - but I still like it in small amounts.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue
Tradescantia Overwintering and Cultural requirement
Tradescantia �Blue and Gold�...
dongdong
What variety of Rose might survive in Mid Coast Maine?
I recently moved to Mid Coast Maine (I'm @ 1/2 hour...
mao53
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™