A few pics from yesterday and today

hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)July 18, 2012

Hi all,

It has been so lovely here in Southern California for the last few days, cool and slightly overcast at times. Great weather for taking photos. So here are a few I took of my garden, which still looks green in July.

Here is a link that might be useful: July pics

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathi_mdgd

Looking good Renee,I love all your different walkways,wish i was younger so i could tackle walkways like that.That last picture of the yellow brug/datura sure grows fast,doesn't it?? We got one from a friend maybe 3 weeks ago and that thing has taken off.

I love that pinkie rose,climber right??Enjoyed my tour of your gardens.TFS
kathi

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 2:10AM
mandolls(4)

I love all of those paths and walkways too, they give so much definition to the gardens. And the roses are gorgeous.

I also love your user name and think of it every time I get tangled up with my hose or drag it across a plant accidentally :)

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 6:22AM
scully931(6)

I LOVE the cobblestone paths!

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 10:35AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Those paths will break your hips just as fast as a hose will. As soon as I get them level a gopher pops up and I have to re-do a whole section. Ugh.

That's funny about the name, mandolls. Every time I get Argentine ants crawling up my legs I imagine socalgirl saying "the ANTS! it's the ANTS! Oh, the ANTS!

Renee

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 6:36PM
plantmasterm(z7)

Hi everyone, I'm just stopping by but would like to say Renee I love love love your garden.

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 7:21PM
nulty

Hi Renee,
you have a very beautiful garden,..i toured twice and enjoyed both trips,..is that a yellow "Brugmansia".

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 7:55PM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

As always, just beautiful.
What did you use for the "wooden" path.
I was given a cutting of a white brugmansia. When it finally bloomed this year, it was another pink.

It has been pretty nice here. It has rained a bit every day of July, except today. We will be getting dry air and high temps tomorrow or so. :^(
Kathy

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 9:11PM
deanna_in_nh(5a/4b)

Renee, always beautiful!

I wanted to ask you about your path. My fieldstone path when I inherited it was only 3 feet wide because the rest of its 6 feet width was covered by grass, irises, and neglect. One path was completely invisible and I didn't even know it was there until I began weeding after our purchase and kept finding more rocks.

I was very motivated to grow a beautiful ground cover between the rocks, but I am finding out that grass continues to pop up EVERYWHERE. I'm assuming it is because there are still healthy grass roots underneath the stones that continue to send up shoots despite weeding and Round Up.

So, what's the secret to getting grass and weeks out of the places where your ground cover is growing? I can keep dirt between the paths through just weeding, but it's the ground cover that challenges me!

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 9:58PM
schoolhouse_gw

Always enjoy touring your garden too, love the variety of blooms and colors. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 10:34AM
Chris_in_the_Valley(z7 MD)

Inspiring!

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 2:01PM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

Ahhh, a lovely tour!!!

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 9:16PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I have the same problem, Deanna. I have gotten frustrated and sprayed everything with Round-up. Now the paths are full of oxalis. It's an endless chore, and I'm losing interest in it. I think cement is a good solution.

Plantmaven, those are railroad ties, cut down with a chain saw. They have just about rotted out after six years.

I like the yellow brugmansias the best. My white and pink ones do not have nice shapes, but the yellow ones are easy to prune into a pretty umbrella shape. I prefer the white flowers and the scent of the white ones, but the yellow are a much better plant for me.

Thank you all for the kind words. Today I pruned off all of the spent roses and pulled out most of the annuals. It's so bare now!

Renee

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 12:23AM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

I love the refreshing look of your garden. It always looks cool and inviting.

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 5:24PM
deanna_in_nh(5a/4b)

Well, it's nice to hear there's not somethings unusually frustrating about my paths. If you can't keep the weeds out there's no way I can. I think I'll be keeping the dirt between the rocks for a while then! All those magazines with such lovely ground cover between the rocks--you've got to wonder if they redo the whole path just for the photo shoot!

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 5:58PM
beachgrub(4 northern michigan)

Gorgeous!

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Introduction! (plus a question about gaura)
Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, but have been gardening...
michellecoxwrites
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning all. It is warmer here today, but seems...
cyn427
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Good Saturday morning, Cottagers!! A few of us having...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Gardenweb and the Houzz Team.
I know Gardenweb is now part of the Houzz Team,..however...
nulty
Wanting to sow my wild flower seeds, have questions
Recently a gas line was installed in front of our house...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™