If I want blue/silver blue juniper - Chip or Rug?

oakrunfarmNovember 29, 2011

I've got a space about 3 or 4' deep and about 12' wide between a raised open gazebo/pavilion and a low brick retaining wall. (The gazebo is on a higher elevation, and so the top of the brick wall is only a few inches above ground level.)

On either side of the gazebo at the ends of this space, there are 4-5' pencil hollies.

I would like to put a few blue-colored junipers in that space, and hope that they will grow to fill the area, plus cascade down over the wall to the concrete pool deck below.

What I would really prefer is one that is as blue or silvery-blue as possible that stays relatively close (1' or less) to the ground.

I have been looking at Blue Chip and Blue Rug and can't seem to make up my mind. Or is there a better choice?

Thank you! (I am not sure if my image will show up, but here is the link.)

[URL=http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2748607450059344087cUECdO][IMG]http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/52/752/6/7/45/2748607450059344087cUECdO_th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oakrunfarm

Rats. Trying again...

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 3:54PM
jolj(7b/8a)

I like the blue rug, it will get 7-8 feet long in time.
It is easy to control also, prune back from the tips as you would a tree limb.

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 4:13PM
oakrunfarm

Thanks!

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 4:16PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

might not be as blue as you wish .. in that much shade ...

where you are might make a difference also ...

small plants are rather cheap... plant multiples.. should you wish to cover ground faster ...

ken

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 6:20PM
mrgpag

Juniperus horizontalis 'Monber' - Icee Blue Juniper is my recommendation. I have 5 and the tallest of any is about 4 inches. Also maintains pretty good blue color in partial shade. I think Monrovia is the sole source wholesaler so you may need to locate a retailer who purchases from them.

Marshall

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 8:19PM
oakrunfarm

Thank you. I really DO want it as blue as possible due to some surrounding blue tones (bluestone pool coping, Pebbletec in pool), so that's important.

We bought some taller "blue" conifers from a Monrovia dealer, but they did not have any Juniper ground cover, so I will check around.

Thanks again. :)

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 7:07AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the next month or so.. is when local high end dealers.. make their orders for late winter/early spring delivery ...

so now is the time to visit with a manager .. and speak directly with whomever orders in stock ...

check out the link .... if you wish to go cheaper, in volume ...

i wouldnt get too tied up in the name game.. any blue creeper is probably going to be blue enough for you .... sometimes the old standards are better than the newer ones anyway.. that is why they have been around forever .... so i would go on height, if that is the secondary important part ... in other words.. dont focus solely on color.. lets say that part is a given ...

they will all grow in some shade ... but they ALL PREFER full sun ... the only impact is a slower growth rate.. and perhaps the intensity of spring coloration .... or not.. we really can not predict.. with any certainty.. how it will all work out in your project ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 8:54AM
More Discussions
Utah conifer grafters?
I live in Salt Lake and am wanting to try grafting....
treeforme
will Juniperus virginiana 'Grey Owl' cones germinate?
The grey owl juniper has horizontal spreading branches...
tlbean2004
Evergreen shrub suggestions needed
Hello. I will be replacing 3 boxwoods this spring....
zaphod42 SE WI
Oak/Beech Grafting
My latest video. Dax Here is a link that might be useful:...
gardener365
Please identify this pine tree
Could someone please identify these pine trees? This...
PicoAzores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™