Where do you order your plants and seeds?

tinael01(10A)February 1, 2012

Where do you order your plants and seeds?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amberroses(10a)

I get seeds all over the place. I have a bit of a seed "problem." A good place to order plants is www.almostedenplants.com. I haven't ordered from them in a while, but they have some interesting stuff and I was happy with the things I received from them.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 8:28AM
johnjsr(9A DeLand)

I buy most from Tomato Growers Supply, a good source for tomato, peppers and eggplant seeds. Great selection, good prices and reasonable shipping. Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds is my other place to find seeds you can't find anywhere else. They will send you a beautiful catalogue too.
john

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 12:32PM
L_in_FL(8B/9A Border, NW FL)

Agreed about Baker Creek - wow, what a catalogue! Just gorgeous, and they have a terrific selection of exotic items. They sell only open-pollinated varieties, no hybrids.

For people on a budget or just starting/restarting a garden, Pinetree Garden Seeds (www.superseeds.com) sells small packets of vegetable and herb seeds for cheap. They have a lot of seeds for But I want to be clear - they do put fewer seeds in a packet than most places. So you should consider how many seeds you'll use each year and how many years the seeds are likely to keep. For me and my small garden, in most cases the small packets from Pinetree are about all I am likely to use before the seeds lose vigor. However, if I were sharing seed with other gardeners or planting more of each type of plant, the bigger packs with more seeds would make more sense. (For a few really common seeds, there's no difference in the number of seeds per packet. Genovese Basil for example: 100 seeds for $1.35 at Pinetree or $3.95 at Johnny's or Burpee.)

Another place to look for exotic tomatoes and peppers is Totally Tomatoes (www.totallytomato.com). They have very little besides tomatoes and peppers, though.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 1:23PM
zzackey(8b GA)

Richter's. They are in Canada. Awesome catalog. So much good info and some unusual seeds. I had a problem with germination and they sent me free seeds at no charge.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 2:36PM
BocaGardener

Horizon Herbs. I have been ordering seeds from their online site for the last 5 years. Not one single germination problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horizon Herbs

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 8:06AM
More Discussions
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
So, what can you tell me about Dlonix regia?
Heh, another miserably cold day here, it's really getting...
wisconsitom
So, What Do YOU Do About Coons And Possums?
I just sent three of them to that big veggie garden...
brute
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™