Need low landscape shrubs 18' ht. and 30' ht.

strumhead(9)February 6, 2012

Hi Florida gardeners. I'm relatively new to the state and don't know a lot of the plants. I'm wondering if anyone could offer recommendations for low height landscape shrubs that are devoid of bad habits. I'm looking for some things that look nice most of the year. Flowering is not critical. If it blooms, that's fine, but mostly I want nice foliage. This could also be considered groundcover as long as it didn't spread excessively. I'm looking for one shrub that is easy to keep at 18" height and one that is easy to keep at 30" height. If that was their ultimate height--with no trimming-- that'd be great. Thanks for any recommendations.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Indian hawthorn

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - Indian Hawthorn

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 9:50PM
strumhead(9)

forgot to mention that I am in between Tampa and Lakeland.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 9:59PM
L_in_FL(8B/9A Border, NW FL)

Yep, I give a second on the Indian Hawthorn. There are a lot of different cultivars, and mature sizes vary from 2 feet (which would be easy to keep to about 18") to 6' or more. Be sure to check the mature size before you buy. Hawthorns are planted in medians, shopping centers, and such everywhere around here. Happiest in full sun.

Liriope also works for the 18" height. Not a shrub but an ornamental grass. Its mature height is about 18", so no trimming would be needed. I wonder if it would be happier in partial shade that far south, though? Note that Liriope muscari does not spread much, but Liriope spicata does. Muscari has purple bloom spikes in spring, dark berries in fall and winter.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
I'm in NJ, my plants are in Florida..
...should I call my friend who's using my house right...
maja127
Planting Spices
Hey folks, I was doing a bit of google searching, which...
silver4490
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™