Lowes and Home depot pine straw sources?

poaky1February 26, 2012

I will be visiting Florida in March and wondered if the big box stores have pine straw available soon. I will be near Lutz, Land o lakes and Webster, but will be driving through the east to get there from Pennsylvania. I use fallen white pine needles here to hold shredded leaves from blowing away and also sometimes use wood chip mulch. The pine straw down where you are is more substantial than we get here. I can get the southern pine mulch delivered to Pa but at a very high price. I was hoping I could get a truck bed full of bales/bags at any big box store in Florida. If not is there anyone who knows of a place near the towns mentioned above I could go to? I am going with friends and don't want to put them out too much to find a source. Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cammunizm

Almost year-round, they have a shipping trailer outside of the Lowe's Garden Centre with Pine Straw bales. (Jacksonville) It ranges from $3-$5.50 a bale and I believe a bale covers about 2.5 cubic feet (what I was told by the cashier).

I believe this to be extortion and gladly go out and rake up a bunch at various parks :) But yes, most Lowe's do carry pine-straw bales.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 10:36PM
poaky1

Thanks for the quick answer. The $3-$5.50 a bale is a steal to me, they want almost $30.00 a bale online at pinestrawdirect or a similar named site and someone on ebay wants $20 a bale. That doesn't include the shipping cost either. I have lots of trees that I mulch annually, I will try the Lowes closest to where we will be staying, thanks again.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 11:28PM
rednofl(9b Goldenrod Fl hz 10)

Do a Craigslist search I regularly see a listing here in Orlando for pine straw and he claims to have better prices than the box stores. I just wait for a few of my neighbors to rake it up and put it at the curb.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 4:04AM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

Mulch Express on Nebraska south of Fowler used to carry bales on pine straw, call and ask if they still do.

Tom

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 7:24AM
More Discussions
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
So, What Do YOU Do About Coons And Possums?
I just sent three of them to that big veggie garden...
brute
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™