Wanted: Comfrey

joewormFebruary 13, 2013

Does anyone have bocking #4 comfrey they'd be willing to trade?
I have Celeste fig cuttings available to trade.
bacrouter@yahoo.com

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pnbrown

Is that some cultivar adapted to the north florida climate?

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 5:45PM
joeworm

no, from what i've read it will grow in any part of the US.

i'm looking for bocking #4 because it is more suitable for chicken feed as well as a good plant fertilizer. chickens don't seem to eat other types of comfrey.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 9:01AM
pnbrown

Right.

I think Mollison mentions it in his permaculture book.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 2:24PM
smallfern(9b)

Joeworm, did you manage to get Bocking #4? If so, did you get them from a member of this site (in exchange) or did you manage to find some in a nursery?
thanks.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 10:43PM
mocropot

I am looking for comfrey also. I found the coescomfrey, but he only sells 10 crowns and it is too much for me. If anybody wants to order with me so we can share Please let me know, may be we can work something out.

Helen

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 10:25PM
smallfern(9b)

Helen, I've sent you a PM.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 10:41PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Apparently the student gardeners at UNF are looking for it, too. See Craigslist link below.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: We want comfrey! (UNF)

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 8:53AM
joeworm

No I never received any offers for the comfrey, still waiting. As previously mentioned, Coe's has it but I was looking for a trade to save money.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 4:01PM
stevelau1911

You can bet that you may never get it if you try to buy from Coes Comfrey. He has a super long wait list for several months so it's not really worth it there so I bought it somewhere else.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 1:56PM
jenjad

Hi there! I have lots of comfrey, having grown it for 16 years. It's such a useful plant that I wouldn't be without it, even if I didn't have a farm. I live in Michigan, but am planning to move to FL this fall and will definitely take lots of roots with me. In fact, I took several buckets of roots with me when I moved here from my Missouri farm.

Can't remember which Bocking it is, but all my animals chow it down... cows, rabbits, chickens and especially turkeys; turkeys go crazy for comfrey's high protein. Over the years I've planted divisions to extend all around the outside of the poultry pen to prevent them from grazing it too hard. They peck at it between the wires. Really cuts feed costs.

This comfrey is wonderful stuff. Bees and butterflies love the flowers, as do the chickens... it's amusing to watch chickens jumping for the flowers. I clear cut the rows 2-3 times a season to use as garden mulch or dry the leaves for supplemental protein feed for chickens and rabbits. I also brew leaves and stems for fertilizer tea or compost starter, and every June I macerate chopped leaves and flowers in coconut oil for a wonderful healing oil for balms. Sometimes I also throw in calendula and chamomile flowers for a "3-C's Balm."

Best of all, this comfrey doesn't invade or throw seeds; it stays put, just getting larger and roots deeper. But wherever you put it, be sure you really want it there, because the very deep and brittle roots make the plants relatively permanent.

I'll be glad to send some roots for price of mailing.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 5:47PM
jenjad

Here's a picture of a smaller row near the rabbit hutch after two cows got out... they headed straight for the comfrey and stripped it down in minutes, so animals definitely love this stuff. lol

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 5:52PM
thonotorose

Jenjad,

There is no way to contact you. You can contact me through Garden Web. I want some, please.

Be prepared; gardening is VERY different in Florida. Whereabouts will you be moving to, if I may ask?

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 7:21PM
jenjad

Ooops, sorry about that... I fixed the contact link on my member page.

I'm planning to move to the Lake Wales area. I've been researching and reading a lot about Florida gardening, especially on this forum.

After a lifetime in subarctic zones I've had enough of dying/dormant gardens for 8 months of the year and chilly summers. It's been 40 degrees at dawn for the last week... my tomatoes and zucchini are shivering. At this rate I'll be lucky to get produce by late August.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 7:13AM
thonotorose

Lake Wales is a beautiful, old Florida area. Though it is now quite close to the Mouse, so it probably has grown too, like most of my home state.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
need seeds
i was wondering if anyone can send me some seeds to...
the2015farmer
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
What's a Native?
I've been watching Gardening Australia lately and it...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
What happened to Old Garden Web?
WoW! I took a little time off, and come back totally...
cenflagirl
Anyone have a azalea (coronado red)?
I picked up a couple at Home Depot yesterday (yes...
Debo214
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Balta US Rugs Avanti Camel 2 ft. 7 in. x 7 ft. 5
$49.97 | Home Depot
Hand Loomed Tunisia Solid Bordered Tone-On-Tone Wool Area Rug (2' x 3')
Overstock.com
Franklin Leather Bench - Brighton Black Black
Joybird Furniture
Casdon Kids Play Hetty Cleaning Trolley - 631
$23.20 | Hayneedle
Bianca 2.5 Gallon Glass Beverage Dispenser
Classic Hostess
Mizone Asha 4-piece Paisley Quilt Set
Overstock.com
Moonrays Outdoor Lighting. Inglenook Outdoor Stained Glass Solar Powered LED Pos
$16.37 | Home Depot
'I Love That You're My Grandmother' Block Sign
$9.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™