How to plant fig suckers with roots ?

hrhcsh(7)August 1, 2012

I'm not sure suckers would be the right term, What I have are small limbs that we pulled up with some roots still attached.

the leaves are wilting... probably will die and fall off. Should I cut back the limbs or trim off the limp leaves ? I have them in a mixture of pete and potting soil planted in the ground.. plan to keep them wet and hope the roots will take hold and at least stay alive. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foolishpleasure

Why doy ou want to fool with suckers? From my experience I planted suckers and were developed into two trees. They produce figs but never ripen. I asked some fig people why? I was told sucker figs never ripen. I still have them as decorative plants no usable fruits ever. I put them in the flower bed in front of the house they look good with lots of green leaves. I think they are gays who look good but no off spring.I fertilize and water them and I get a lot of compliments from the neighbors about how good they look. I am not an expert or even close to one but this is my experience.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 2:36AM
murkwell

Why would trees grown from suckers, once established, perform any differently than trees grown for cuttings or layering?

hrhcsh, I would expect that you'd want to provide shade and humidity for your newly independent trees to mitigate moisture loss until the roots are well enough established to supply what is needed.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 2:16PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

I would cut off all the leaves except the topmost, and cut that in half. Then treat the sucker like you would any rooted cutting.

Good luck to you!
Suzi

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 3:51PM
foolishpleasure

Why would trees grown from suckers, once established, perform any differently than trees grown for cuttings or layering?
========================================================
I love to know that too

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 3:46AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

So did the tree you got your experience from produce figs? Maybe it's a caprifig and needs the wasp. My rooted suckers from Violette D Bordeaux produce just fine. Who told you this? The person that owned the non producing fig tree?

Just wondering.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 10:48AM
foolishpleasure

that tree does not need fig wasp it is self pollinating Brown turkey

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 4:23AM
nothwehr

Hrhcsh, I am trying to do the same thing and my newly potted figs leaves are wilting also. Last night I trimmed more of them off. At this point all we can do is keep them watered (but not too much) and keep them out of direct sun while we hope for the best.

Steve

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Ficus Lyrata curly leaves.
I badly need your help .why do the leaves curl and...
Kimmy Jane Santiago
Easy propagation method
I may have posted this before but I've read a number...
leon_edmond
Should I prune this?
Hi, Northeast LA. Sunset 20, zone 10 I just transplanted...
Matthew Grayson
Rooting Question
Hello All - I am trying to root some fig cuttings....
briana_2006
My Fig Tree needs help! leaf syptoms
I have attached a photo here. Does anyone know what...
sundayafternoonblues
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™