Figs not ripening

mathaceAugust 27, 2013

I planted two fig trees in my yard this Spring. One was only a foot tall and the other was 3 or 4 feet tall. They were planted about 100 feet apart from each other.
They were planted in identical conditions.

The small one has been growing like a weed! It is very tall now. It is loaded with figs! I have ate 6 figs off it already. My FIRST figs EVER! IT has been SO VERY EXCITING!

The larger one has not grown any :( It is now about 1/2 the size of the smaller fig plant (since that plant has grown so much). The larger plant set fruit first, but none of them have ripen. The plant looks healthy, but is maintaining status quo.

Any IDEAS as to why the one plant is not taking off like the other one? Any Ideas as to why the fruit is not ripening on this tree?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herman2_gw

The young one ,is an early ripening cultivar,and the older one must be a late ripening cultivar.
Late cultivars are not ripe yet in your zone 8.
Place a lot of mulch and limestone powder under the fig that does not want to grow.

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 11:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mathace

Thanks for the tip.
I checked this morning and found that the one that has been growing like crazy, producing a ton of fruit AND has already produced a 1/2 dozen ripe figs is a Magnolia fig.

The other fig plant that is not growing, but not looking ill either is a Celeste. I am still working on finding the ripening time for each variety...

According to this web site...
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg214

The Celeste is an early July and the Magnolia is a late July / August ripening fig plant. Something is wrong with this picture. The Magnolia is doing fine and is on schedule. However, the Celeste is the one that set fruit, but they are not ripening..

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
I am Phil from Northern Ohio.
I am here amongst many very good fig friends and I...
peak42
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
is this fig mosaic virus?
Hi, I just bought this Panache fig tree a couple weeks...
merriberri
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™