Hippophae rhamnoides Sea Buckthorn

Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)September 23, 2008

I bought some really nice anti-aging cream and I just love the feel of it on my skin. Although its really expensive. Then I thought to myself, why donÂt I grow some Sea Buckthorn shrubs!

Connie I think it was you that ordered a lot of these last year? How did they do this year, any fruit on them? Did you get a mix of female and male plants?

They are dioecious meaning there are male and female plants, so I assume you will need a male in order to produce fruit?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Sharon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beegood_gw

I have a male and female Sea Buckthorn. The first year a few berries. The second more. This is their 3rd year and it is loaded with orange berries.What is it you can do with those berries?They are very hardy but do tend to sucker quite a bit.I just mow them down with the lawn mower.

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 10:56AM
prairierose

Sharon, my sea buckthorns are from the PFRA, so they come really small, and aren't a fancy variety, but they're free. I've been working on this row for several years - the moles and gophers seem to take out a few every year - and this is the first year I've had any fruit. The bushes are definitly a mix of male and female, though I'm not sure how you tell except by which ones have fruit. I just cooked them up and strained them to make juice, beegood. It's bright orange and tastes a bit citrusy. I guess they make nice jelly. DNA gardens has a recipe on their website, but I don't have enough fruit this year. The bushes I have that are fruiting are about 4 to 5 feet tall. They seem to start out quite slowly, and then all of sudden they're big full bushes.
Connie

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 12:29PM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Thanks beegood and Connie for your replies.
It use to be at one time where you could only get the free PFRA trees/shrubs if you had over 40 acres(?), I only have 22.
I now see it has gone down to 5 acres, I'll most likely order some now.
I might get a couple of cultivars next spring from Boughen Nurseries too just to try out too.

Good to hear about the control of gophers and moles!

Sharon

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
Cedars or Junipers for St Paul, AB
Hello everyone, I am writing to see what everyone thinks...
Eclipse Landscaping
Magnolia xloebner "Spring Welcome"
Hi, Does anyone know where to get this Magnolia in...
pricklypoppy
crabapple trees
The woodpeckers have done a real number on one of my...
marricgardens
Signs of Spring
I might be getting a little eager, but as a newbie...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™