How to get rid one smart chipmunk

Dennis AKA Snaglpus(8a)August 22, 2010

Help! I really need you help here. I have lots of young fig trees and one very smart chipmunk. Every day, it is a battle to keep this guy out of my fig trees. I use to think that the birds were eating my ripe figs, until I caught this sucker in the act! I could not believe my eyes! This chipmunk would eat only the ripe figs through the netting! I am so pissed off! I tried rat traps with peanut butter. I tried chunks of corn rat poision, but this guy goes around these thing and straight to my fig trees on my deck. Please tell me what do you guys recommend I do to get rid of this thing! thanks, Dennis

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noss(Zone 9a Lafayette, LA)

Hi Dennis,

Did you try a rat trap baited with a ripe fig?

noss

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 12:54AM
Dennis AKA Snaglpus(8a)

Noss, I thought about that and I got one ripe Black Madeira fig. But I hate to give it to a chipmunk! I do have some grapes. that might work.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 1:25AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of water & put it under the tree. Add enough sunflower seeds to cover the top of the water. lay a board even with the top of the bucket so the c-munks can access it readily and sprinkle a few seeds on the board. The c-munks will eat the seeds on the board and then jump into what they think is a bucket of seeds. End of tale.

Al

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 8:12PM
dieseler

Hey Dennis,
i answered on other forum about finding its hole and plugging him in.
He may have friends though.
I lucky no critter problems including birds,But im ready if they come with my ole reliable scatter gun.
A 12gauge with an accu choke that i can adujst the buckshot pattern coming out , course dont shoot the tree catch em in flight or on the run ! There a trap range a mile away so the noise would not bother anyone here. ; )
Martin

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 8:49PM
tmc2009

I had a problem with the chipmunks eating my strawberries even the green ones so I put out rat traps and baited with the strawberries. That worked along with a bb gun but you can't be there all the time. They don't cost much so put out multiple rat traps.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 9:08PM
Dennis AKA Snaglpus(8a)

Ok. He got another one of my Schar Italian figs. He was 7 feet from me laying spread out in my 3 gallon fig just having a ball. I crack the door open and took a shot at him and I know I got him. He ran off injured with a hole in him thru and thru. The pellet went straight through my plant container too! He won't be back but just in case his brother comes by, I placed a Havahart trap out on my deck baited with one ripe fig. If I catch him, he won't live to see another day!

Al,Eve recommended the same trap. I'm going to try it this afternoon after I pick up some sunflower seeds. I hope it works. Again, I've lost too many figs to these guys and its not funny. Thanks everyone! Dennis

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 11:01AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

It works - I've used it. Copy/paste to your browser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Pog2SZ0y0

You can also use a piece of lattice suspended over the bucket like a seesaw. You'll need to support the lattice (paint stir stick) between the edge of the bucket & another point outside the bucket. Think of a diving board. Sunflower seeds go on the end of the lattice over the water. The chipmunk walks out on the lattice & the seesaw effect takes over and he falls in the pond.

Another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w&feature=related

Al

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 2:39PM
Dennis AKA Snaglpus(8a)

I GOT HIM!!! He he he. I am so happy! He ate his last fig today. I played taps as we went to the pasture and only I came back! I got him!!! I am so happy!

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 10:00PM
dieseler

HI Dennis i posted some recipes on other forum if you get more of them.
Martin

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 12:30AM
More Discussions
I am Phil from Northern Ohio.
I am here amongst many very good fig friends and I...
peak42
I'm Back
Hello all
Aaron
Negronne 2014
Pictures are from one tree but two different fig fruit....
bluemoonlight
When to prune fig trees?
Hello to all,my fig tree is bare now and I was wondering...
coconutman
Black Jack fig not growing side limbs
I purchased 2 two gallon Black Jack Figs from Walmart,...
jeremie428
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™