need some colour....

misobentoAugust 30, 2012

Hi all....I was looking at our front yard this morning and it is all green, green, green. Blah. The flowers have all finished for the most part and the toad lilies still have a ways to go until they bloom. Any suggestions for something I could plant that would bloom end of August/early September that would tolerate high shade? Zone 5.

(plants in that garden already: rhododendron, astilbe, coral bells, hosta, hellebore, fern, toad lily etc). )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

You could try some of these..... Japanese anemones. They come single and double, white and pink.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 10:21AM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

...or turtleheads (Chelone obliqua speciosa) or Cimicifuga (now Actaea) racemosa.

tj

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 5:29PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Many of the Hydrangea paniculata are at their peak now - Pinky Winky, Pink Diamond, The Swan, etc. and would be happy with bright shade. I have one of the dark red leafed Cimicifugas/Actaeas, maybe 'Brunette', which adds color from the foliage as well as the tall wands of flowers. I know you asked about flowers, but often in shade I count on foliage to provide much of the color - chartreuse, gold, and white from hosta (along with their lavender and white flowers), variegated leaves from some of the shrubby dogwoods, Brunneras, and Solomon's seal, and a whole bunch of different colors from Heuchera and Heucherella: chartreuse, gold, reddish, maroon, frosted and everything in between.

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 8:30AM
cyn427(z7aN. VA)

I love my anemones! They are just about ready to bloom. Hydrangea are also a wonderful choice. My pups ran over my cimiicifugas, so I can only say I wish...!

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 8:52AM
koszta_kid(Iowazone 5)

Right now my Kiss Me Over garden Gate look pretty. Hummers sitting in them to wait their turn.

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 7:06PM
schoolhouse_gw

koszta, could you post a pic of your KMOGG? I planted Love Lies Bleeding and I thought the two plants were very similar, the LLB being an annual. Mine didn't get very tall on account of dry conditions but are blooming finally.

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 12:04PM
roseberri, z6(6)

If you like periwinkle blue you could try Perennial ageratum and the Sedums often bloom now ( Autumn Joy,etc)

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 10:52AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Coleus come in a huge variety of colors and patterns, and they keep going as long as it's reasonable warm. And they do great in all light levels.

Martha

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 10:32PM
More Discussions
echinacea pink double delight
6 plants propagated from a single stem late last nov....
daves10
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
Aftermidnight (and others please) question
Hi Annette, I am finding this Houzz hard to navigate...
duncandotty
Boxwood not looking good
It's blowing snow and cold here today and the boxwood...
schoolhouse_gw
An Irish Cottage Garden.
Not my own Irish Cottage Garden this time,..i have...
nulty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™