Kiwis in South Florida

boom1(10b)March 18, 2009

anyone have any luck with kiwis in south Broward County? they are my favorite fruit but im worried it may be difficult to get them to bear here. i know there are some low chill varieties but i wanted some first hand info, thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jay-wpb(10 FL)

I dont know the answer to your question but I tried a Dragon Fruit a few months ago - it was very much like kiwi. It may be a substitute if all else fails and dragon fruit does well here.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 6:59AM
goldenpond((Vero.Beach FL 9b))

I am zone9b and planted two only to have them go to that big zone doesnt matter garden in the sky.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 11:11AM
boom1(10b)

thats what i was afraid of.

i am growing yellow, purple haze, delight pink and red jaina dragon fruit. ive never tasted them but im glad you think they resemble kiwi, i look forward to trying them.

im building a 10 ft high trellis overhang on the side of my house, i guess ill grow muscadine grapes.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 9:05PM
gcmastiffs(z10 Florida)

Fuzzy Kiwis are fine in zone 10. I have quite a few, both Vincent, and Tomuri. They look ugly right now as they are leafless/dormant.

Dragonfruit are fun to grow and the blooms are stunning! Being a cactus, makes them different as far as supports/care/ferts. Mine were badly hurt by the frosts last month.

I have many varieties of Muscadines as well. They are heavy bearers, and easy to care for.

Lisa

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 9:18PM
coffeemom(Broward z10)

Lisa, I could sit and take notes from you all day as you are my go to person on all knowledge of fruiting plants, but Broward 10b is nothing like the zone 10 you have in Jupiter. I discovered this when I found the plants Kat was able to grow in WPB that never made it in our zone. I don't know if it's the heat or humidity but I don't think kiwis have a chance south of palm bch county.
If anyone is growing kiwis here, speak now or....we'll be planting dragonfruit. :)
(I truly wish I could replicate Lisa's "Garden of Eaten"....sigh)

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 7:49AM
boom1(10b)

yes i doubt we get little if any chill hours here. the coldest it dipped this winter during the night was 50's.

what confuses me is i know they grow peach varieties down here which require at least 100 chill hours

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Mimosa ~ silk tree
I posted a photo on my blog not knowing what this little...
flowerladylorraine
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Mulch around bushes?
I was just at one of the better garden centers here...
echobelly
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™