Prairie Magic Apple

ziggroSeptember 27, 2011

Had about a half-dozen of these on my young tree this year; reached full maturity...man, were they good! Best-tasting apple I've fruited here yet...although a fully-ripened Carroll was pretty close. If you want a hardy, good-eating apple that will ripen by the third week of September, you might want to check this out. I think it would make fantastic juice as well.

Does anyone have one of these trees that is a little older? I'm curious as to how productive I can expect it to be.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eatsivy

I don't have older PM ziggro, but appreciated hearing about your success with it. In the early spring of this year I planted one each of Norland, Red Baron, and Vista Bella. Ordered them from St. Lawrence Nursery - wanted a Carrol (and had Prairie Magic on order form as my second choice), but they must have been sold out, as I got Vista Bella as substitute. My new apple trees seemed to do fine this first year and am looking forward to the season I begin to get some fruit. Thinking about placing an order for Carrol this year. Last year I ordered late, so that is probably why I got Vista Bella as a substitute. Are you finding that Carrol ripens later than PM? Anyone out there growing Vista Bella?

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 12:09PM
ziggro

eatsivy,

Carrol ripens earlier than Prairie Magic here, maybe by a week or two. I love Carrol, but my Carrol tree is not very productive. I haven't tried Vista Bella, although it's on my list to try--I plan on grafting some VB onto one of my apple trees. I'm interested in Red Baron, too, as I hear it might be a good pie apple, and I think it might actually mature in my short growing-season climate.

I'm hoping my Prairie Magic will become a productive tree. It would be great to harvest a bunch of those apples!

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 12:11AM
ostrich(3a AB)

Ziggro, I just found your post from last year - I am wondering where you are and where you found the Prairie Magic apple trees from please? Just curious to see if I can find them in the Calgary area! Thanks.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 11:43PM
ziggro

I live in Montana...Prairie Magic was offered at a local nursery here. I think it comes from up your way, so I would think they would be available in the Calgary area. However, you have many other prairie hardy apple cultivars in your area--more than we do down here, I think. I have heard good things about Prairie Sensation. A hardy tree with fruit that is large, firm, crisp and juicy, and stores very well to boot. In taste tests, it was regarded akin to Gala. It's a University of Saskatchewan release that is sold in Canada, but not in the U.S.. If you can get hold of one of those, you might want to give it a try. Good luck!

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 1:24AM
intotheark

prairie sensation is a biennial bearer for me,
even with judicious fruit thinning
the taste is not as good as september ruby

m360 is a large tasty, tart apple, that bears consistently

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 2:35AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

UOS is making a big hype, ...on cherries too. I.M.O ..nothing outperformed the Evans, nothing has outperformed the Norkent Apple in taste! I have a UOS best pear growing for about 6years now, it keeps freezing back, ..a disappointment, if it will ever fruit I don't know, if it does I'm prepared for another set back.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 3:04AM
intotheark

i agree 100% Konrad
they are master marketers
i lost respect for them when they stole the name 'haskap', from the ancient Ainu people of Hokkaido
none of their honeyberry contains any genetic material from true haskaps
but as a marketing ploy they use that name
i'd love to see one canadian grower in all this time that has sold to japan

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 11:14AM
ziggro

intotheark,
Thanks for the info on Prairie Sensation and M360. Can't get either down here in Montana. I did get some M360 scions from Nick Botner, but they don't seem to want to take. Had success with grafting 5 other varieties, but no luck on M360 ):

Konrad,
Thanks for the tip on UOS...I have a Norkent apple growing but is a long way from producing fruit. My Evans cherry is very nice, though, and seems to give me a healthy crop about every year.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 8:39PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Norkent and September Ruby I find one of the best growing trees here, it takes about 2 years to establish a good root system, after that she takes off! Good to plant small, a large calipper tree sits in the ground and don't want to do much for 2 years,.. also prone to get sick.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 12:35AM
intotheark

i am a terrible grafter, so i have not gotten an m360 to take either
i tried about 10 this year, and i will continue to try

but i have successfully grafted several sept ruby's on an old crab
(another reason i like that tree)

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 2:02AM
More Discussions
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Primocane raspberries? Zone 3 north of Edmonton
Does anyone around Edmonton grow a primocane raspberry?...
lindz6
Posting a picture from photobucket.
Over in the hosta forum I've learned how to post a...
north53 Z1b MB
Emails from Houzz?
Has anyone else gotten one? Is it for real?
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™