martin house

garyfla_gw(10 Florida)March 11, 2013

Hi
A pic of the matin house. Cost me 11 dollars including the pole ,lol gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake

Very nice. But why do you have it attached to that power line? Wouldn't that be a bit dangerous?

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 6:43AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
An illusion of the pic actually about 15 feet from the power line as well as being 5 feet below it lol gary

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 6:02AM
TheTradition(9b)

Now you get the joy of chasing unwanted bird species out of the house, keeping snakes from climbing it if you do get martins, and the excitement of being dive-bombed by them if they should have chicks.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 12:19PM
TheTradition(9b)

By the way, how'd you get it so cheap?

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 10:43AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
the main body is a 25 year old trash can, the roof is a second hand 15 year old drip catcher The pole is PVC slipped over a steel pipe cemented into a concrete block
which I found in the yard . The floors and room divisions are made of left over vinyl wall panels Only thing i bought was the PVC and the paint. I splurged with a two tone paint job which added 4 bucks lol
i suspect it will not attract martins as it's too close to the house ,pole is too short but paper wasps will love it!!! gary

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 5:22AM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

That's great. I should do something like that!

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:39AM
theoj(Z9 FL)

I had Martins the first day I put my house up and for years they came back but eventually they quit coming and I never see them flying in the sky, I suspect hawks have caused them to move on.
theo

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 9:59PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Sultry
Choose any shape except a flared cylinder!! Boy was it tough getting and cutting the pieces for the floors and divisions .i divided ito thirds trying to stay in the 6 inch cubes. .Used a 1/2 PVC pipe with slots for the center support . It can be lowered and disassembled for cleaning
My original plan was a Gothic style dove cote but was too small. and was too cheap to spring for the necessary materials lol
Theo
So far the only thing that has come near it is a Red tailed hawk lol gary

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 5:15AM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Thank you for the instructions. I wouldn't have even guessed that is was a trash can. How large of trash can is it?
The inside does seem like it would be the most difficult part for me. I just might try it though.
Do you think it would be better in full sun or placed somewhere that it would get afternoon shade? There are lots of large shade trees in the yard.
Please post pics when the future occupants move in. It will be exciting to watch them.
~SJN

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 11:19AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

SJN
You might try google on "Purple martins"Will give you much more info than I ever could lol Many pix of various designs and locations I seriously doubt this design is suitable but figured it would serve as a "sculpture " if not a working birdhouse ??
I think the hawk might discourage any interested birds anyway?? Certainly thinned out the bird feeders lol He looks so funny trying to balance on those 1/4 inch perches lol
Anyway check out some of the sites on the martins
gary

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:00AM
More Discussions
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
I'm in NJ, my plants are in Florida..
...should I call my friend who's using my house right...
maja127
Planting Spices
Hey folks, I was doing a bit of google searching, which...
silver4490
Yacon rhizomes
Hey Carmen, You out there? CYE pronto, I have your...
tomncath
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™