September Figs Update

ch3rri(z6 PA)September 23, 2010

I bought my figs from treesofjoy on March 2010. They were still dormant when I bought them. After some care they grew beautifully and produced some delicious figs! It is hard to describe the taste and some more fruity than the other. All were very sweet. The skin on these figs were thin compared to the store bought. The taste of course is way better than the store bought. I just ate some brooklyn dark and it was so good, juicy, and fruity. The brooklyn dark fig is the largest in size compared to ronde de bordeaux, black mission, or hardy chicago. The dark portuguese figs still not near ripening. I would say the dark portuguese is a late season fig in PA or because this is the first season so the figs came a little late. If you ask me which is my favorite, I would say I like them all. If I have to pick then I would say brooklyn dark and ronde is the best because of taste, size, and color. Both have a really nice color inside. The ronde is a little prettier because of the dark purple color and reddish inside. Ronde is also a fast growing tree. I might have to change the pot again next year. Just picked a few more Ronde so I will enjoy these slowly.....hehehehe

Here is a link that might be useful: Click for more pictures

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
danab_z9_la

After a prolong wait to finally taste new varieties of figs grown on our own trees, is always something very special to us fignuts. Your figs look delicious. If you like them now, wait until your young trees mature. Dark Portuguese and Hardy Chicago in my yard really improved in flavor this season.

Dan

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 11:46AM
bonsaist(Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa)

I'm glad you got a decent crop from your trees. I remember when you got them early this year. I'm happy that you like Brooklyn Dark, it's one of my favorite tasting figs, but it's usually ripens later than others due to where it's planted. It does better in the container in cooler areas. The Dark Portuguese is an early variety, just give it another year.

Bass

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 8:24PM
ch3rri(z6 PA)

Thanks Bass. All are pretty good. The hardy chicago might be better next year. The Ronde figs are smaller for but nice.

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 10:54PM
marius67(6)

Ch3rri,you've got mail !

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 12:31PM
foolishpleasure

I have one fig on the Italian tree. It is bagged and guarded. I think next year I am going to get more I have 5 trees.

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 3:59AM
More Discussions
Help please!!!
I badly need your help .why do the leaves curl and...
Kimmy Jane Santiago
Negronne 2014
Pictures are from one tree but two different fig fruit....
bluemoonlight
My Fig Tree needs help! leaf syptoms
I have attached a photo here. Does anyone know what...
sundayafternoonblues
Trade blueberries for figs (cuttings) 25 for 1
Hi, I am new to this forum and have become recently...
j-a-k-e
Easy propagation method
I may have posted this before but I've read a number...
leon_edmond
Sponsored Products
Radius Single Surface Flushmount by ilomio
$1,400.00 | Lumens
Circolo 3-Light Round Chandelier by Kichler
$400.40 | Lumens
Gray Geo Stitch Accent Lamp Shade
Cost Plus World Market
Mint & Chocolate Anna Lavish Home Bedroom Set
$119.99 | zulily
Oversized Wicker Style Bronze Floor Register
Signature Hardware