Fall Cleanup

Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)September 28, 2007

Oh how I recall the overwhelming clean up chore it was this past Spring, so today I spent the whole day cleaning baskets and containers and cutting down some perennials so that IÂm not so crazily busy next spring.

I dug up the Dahlias, Crocosmia and Peacock Orchids and have set aside the pots of Japanese Iris, Hibiscus and Sambucus Black Lace and will store them down in the pumphouse in a few days.

I also raked up some bags of fallen leaves and will make some black gold with them.

It was such a beautiful Fall day today and now everything looks so clean and tidy too ;)

So what have youÂve been fall cleaning these days?

Sharon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

I've dumped a few containers too, but haven't done much else in the way of clean-up. Most of the containers are still alive - can't dump 'em yet! It's going to start soon, but not this weekend. I have the newsletter to do and it's supposed to be lousy weather. Maybe next weekend. :)

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 10:37PM
redpeony

Today I cut off and disposed of the dead looking lily stalks, surprisingly these were mostly the oriental lilies that hadn't even really finished blooming before the frost hit and not the asiatic ones that have been finished for a long time now. I left all the stalks that were still green, so now it looks much better.
The alive plants still out number the dead plants in my pots, so those will stay for another week or so.
If the weather is not too bad this weekend we will blow out the sprinkler lines, but that's about it for now.

Janet

Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 10:59PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

I'm not even sure if my yard has had a frost yet! I still have cannas and salvias - in pots, not near the house - that haven't been touched so I'm assuming not. I will need to cut down the peonies soon, they are starting to yellow. I have never cut down lily stalks in the past - never had a problem with disease yet and then I know for sure where they are in the spring. I have no idea who is going to winter protect my roses for me in November while I'm having a baby... I have a bad feeling it's going to be me anyway so I know it's done properly. >:0(

Oh yeah one more complaint! I have so many leaves to rake, last year I used the lawnmower & bagger but now my lawnmower's broken! Aaagh!

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 10:21AM
inanda1(z2b)

Sharon,

My crocrosmia were forgotten in he garden last fall. They all survived and bloomed this year, so I'm leaving them again.

Even one LA iris (also forgotten) survived and grew like mad this summer. No bloom though.

Ginny
Manitoba Regional Lily Society
Northern Lights Regional Iris Society

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 5:23PM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Ginny, that's great to hear.... my Crocs and LA Iris were growing in pots this season, same with the Sambucus Black Lace, next year I'll transplant them out in the beds.

Gil, if your Cannas are not black, you haven't got hit from Jack yet, lucky you!

Sharon

Bookmark   September 30, 2007 at 1:39AM

Two of my cannas finally have buds! LOL Better late...

Bookmark   September 30, 2007 at 12:42PM

I am officially done gardening for the year, outdoors that is ;)
Today I covered up the Bucks and other tender perennials with straw, mulched the paths and cleaned all the pots and containers. I have a funny feeling I'm going to wake up very stiff tomorrow morning.

How's your garden fall cleanup coming along?

Sharon

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 4:50PM

Done here too. Well, there are two little containers that still have million bells in them, but they were frozen today. It's supposed to be pretty mild tomorrow, so i'll see if they thaw out enough to dump. Otherwise i might have to bring them in. The containers were done quite awhile ago - all are stored under the deck.

It's nice out your way today, isn't it, Sharon?

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 5:02PM

Feels good to have everything done eh Marcia, now I just wish will have a mild winter again like we had last year.

I have sooooooo much straw left over from the round bale that was dropped off Thanksgiving Day! Oh well, I'm sure I'll find some use of it next Spring.

Not bad today, overcasted at High 5°C

Sharon

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 5:21PM
prairierose

I am officially done! The last flowerbed is mulched,and I finished watering in my plants yesterday. Hoses are away, flowerpots are empty - Done! If I get the urge, there's always some pruning that I can do, and those seed catalogues should start coming pretty soon, shouldn't they?

Connie

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Posting a picture from photobucket.
Over in the hosta forum I've learned how to post a...
north53 Z1b MB
germinating rose seeds
What is a good way to start roses from seed, I picked...
wayne
Primocane raspberries? Zone 3 north of Edmonton
Does anyone around Edmonton grow a primocane raspberry?...
lindz6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™