Whats with the Calgary weed invasion?

canadianprairiegirl(zone 3)September 1, 2009

I was just in Calgary visiting my daughter and couldn't believe the weed seed heads blowing around and coming to rest knee deep in some places. The culprits seem to have large round heads with large dandelion spores....nothing that I have noticed in my own garden or area? Can anyone please identify???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luckygal(3b)

We have something similar here in the hinterlands of BC altho I've never seen the seeds knee deep. We have them growing at the edge of our rural road. They have been described as dandelions on steroids! It's Western Goat's-Beard (Tragopogon dubius) and is on the invasive plant list for BC. Also called Western Salsify. I pull them whenever I find them when they are small. It's a losing battle tho, there are more weeds than I could ever pull on our acreage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Western Goat's-Beard

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 3:57PM
beegood_gw

I pick the odd one just when it is fully opened and spray it with hairspray. It'll keep in a bud vaes with maybe a few dried grasses for over a year if you want it too. Tuff to dust so I just replace it.

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 11:32AM
canadianprairiegirl(zone 3)

yikes, it certainly does look like Western Goats Beard and it sounds like the weed from hell! I'm wondering if it has been introduced to that area recently or is it just a bumper year for weeds. Several native Calgarians have said they've never seen such a thing - the spores are literally everywhere!!!!

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 3:20PM
snap77(3a AB)

We have western goat's beard all over Calgary. I didn't know what it was called, but after looking, I've seen it all over in allleys and such.

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
What variety of Rose might survive in Mid Coast Maine?
I recently moved to Mid Coast Maine (I'm @ 1/2 hour...
mao53
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Disappearing seedlings, help requested
I have never had problems with damping off only losing...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Emails from Houzz?
Has anyone else gotten one? Is it for real?
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™