What plums taste better pembina vs brookred vs brookgold

mattpfSeptember 3, 2012

Any body know from experience what plum taste better. From online reviews Brookgold seems to be best tasting of these 3 but every site says something different. Would love to hear all your inputs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_in_sask

I have Pembina...it doesn't produce very well because I only have the one tree. My neighbour who moved away was supposed to have planted the other tree in her yard, but it didn't happen. For some reason or another, this tree does get pollinated in the Spring, most of it aborts and I am left with a handful of plums every year. These are really sweet and flavourful. The only problem is the thick skins and they have a fairly loose texture...don't think you can bake or make preserves with this one. Any suggestions for a companion plum that would flower at the same time?

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 11:16PM
don555(3a)

Pembina is a good-sized plum for the prairies, about golf-ball sized. I find the flesh very sweet but the skin is rather sour so I don't eat the skin. I only got a handful of plums from the tree until I grafted on two branches of "Perfection plum", which instantly turned production into hundreds of plums each year, last year it was around 500 plums, this year the hail messed them up so I'm just letting them fall and not using them.

Brook Red is supposed to be another good pollinator and that's what I originally planted to cross-pollinate but the tree had been mislabelled and only produced small yellow plums that weren't very good and it also bloomed too early to be an effective pollinator so I removed that dud tree.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 1:39AM
mattpf

Has anybody tasted the brooks varieties ?
I've tried pembina and they are real good fresh eating .

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 7:20PM
twrosz

mattpf ... Brook Red is much like Pembina, though the skin doesn't have the sourness factor as Don mentioned, for it is tart enough to make many people shudder. I have selected Brook Red over Pembina and have acquired a native plum that I've been told should make for a good pollinator.

Brook Gold is a favorable small plum that falls to the ground when ripe.

Terrance

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
climbing roses
Hi, I'm considering pillaring some climbing roses....
rosecanadian
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Primocane raspberries? Zone 3 north of Edmonton
Does anyone around Edmonton grow a primocane raspberry?...
lindz6
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™