Fig Spoilage from Fermentation?

berrysalesmanSeptember 24, 2012

I have twelve young Brunswick fig trees that have been producing large amounts of figs over the last 3 years. From mid-August to mid-September I sell these figs at good prices at a farmers market in Northern Virginia where they are something of a rarity. I do my best to produce tasty good-looking figs organically. Brunswick figs, unfortunately, split badly and suffer other bad effects in rainy weather. Over recent weeks this area has experienced frequent night-time showers which have damaged my figs in an unfamiliar way. With these showers it appears the eyes of my figs have opened a little, and allowed insects to enter the fruit and initiate softening around the eye. The softening spreads and makes the figs unsellable. The softening appears to be fermentation, judging by the smell. A knowledgeable friend suggested the entering insects are bringing a wild yeast into the fruit causing the fermentation. I wonder if others have experienced this problem. My friend�s explanation sounds plausible but with so little local knowledge of figs available, I come to the large community of East Coast fig producers seeking help. Comments anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

any fig varieties that have an open eye, small or large, will go bad during wet rainy weather when water gets into the eye.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 6:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foolishpleasure

If I am in your place I gather the figs and dry it upto save the day.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 1:09AM
More Discussions
Cuttings with mold.
When I took my three bags of cuttings out of the fridge...
recoil_rob
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
I think I poisoned all my new baby figs :/
I had decided to lightly fertilize all my new batch...
Aaron
Any good places to buy fig cuttings?
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you could recommend...
bonechickchris
I am Phil from Northern Ohio.
I am here amongst many very good fig friends and I...
peak42
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™