Should I buy one?
I have seen black mission figs for sale at a local Lowes for $5.00 each. I have passed them up twice, but I'm off for the next two days and they are calling me. The reasons I've passed them up are:
1. I've never tasted a fresh fig, so don't know if I like them.
2. They have brown spots all over leaves, which is probably rust taking over.
3. It looks like they rooted 3 cuttings in each pot, so they will look like a big bush.
3. I'm worried about getting that fig virus in my yard, and living in south florida, I don't need to introduce any more pathogens than what are already here. I have a Celeste that I planted in May, but haven't tasted any fruit yet.
The reasons they are calling me back:
1. I read somewhere on one of your posts that black mission have a closed eye and so will do well in a rainy, buggy climate.
2. I read they taste really good.
3. They are only 5 bucks.
I have placed an order with UCD for VdB and Col de Dame because they have closed eyes and are supposed to be very good tasting too. Will I eventually get this bad fig virus in my yard anyway when I get these cuttings?