Newly planted cedars - do I need to wrap this winter?

fillagirlOctober 7, 2011

Hello, I planted about 12 six-foot tall Brandon cedars this summer, alongside my east fence. I was wondering about whether or not I had to wrap them in burlap for the winter, or do the wind block with burlap. I was hoping not to because there are so many of well, but don't want to lose them either.

Anybody have experience with this?

P.S. The cedars are planted about one foot from the fence (not a hedge, about 2.5 feet between cedars) and we have neighbours right behind us, so it is quite sheltered.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Hi fillagirl. I'm not expert by any means, but here's what I'd do.

First of all, I don't think it's recommended anymore to wrap in burlap. Apparently it dries out the trees. Last year we had a tremendous amount of snow, and my Brandon cedars as well as my Junipers ended up with misshapen branches that had been weighed down all winter with too much snow. I'm going to loosely twine my trees this year to help prevent that.

If I had 12 new trees, I'd buy some t-posts and build an inexpensive burlap wall to protect from the wind and snow for the first year.

It's also very important at this time of year to make sure you've watered those trees really well.

Hope this helps. One of the tree experts here may have different or better advice for you =:)

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
Emails from Houzz?
Has anyone else gotten one? Is it for real?
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™