I have buds breaking out along the old

kumquat1September 23, 2012

hard wood, 1 foot from the ground on my Celeste fig. We live in a strange microclimate near a bayou on the Gulf coast. Almost never get a frost since the climate change has kicked into gear. All the buds previously have come at the petiole of new growth. This tree has only been bearing 4 years. What's up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ediblelandscaping.sc(7b-8)

have you cut any of the top growth back? this sometimes will push out lower figglets and leaf buds.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 1:59PM
kumquat1

Last winter I pruned quite a bit of the top growth. Did that result in a delayed budding?

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 3:18PM
ediblelandscaping.sc(7b-8)

could very well be. do you grow any other fig trees? If so are the others doing the same thing? I'm going to be honest I have pear trees flowering right now and I'm dumbfounded by why they would bloom in fall even 1 apple trees is blooming and my friend is getting blooms on his blueberries. I've seen some crazy things this year but this month tops it all.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 12:33AM
foolishpleasure

The weather is crazy almost October and we 80-90 degrees. I had good fig crop and after collecting the ripened figs I told the trees thank you go dormant now. But this never happened the trees re full again with little figs and I thought they never ripen. Today I was surprised with several figs changing color from green to pink and getting ready to ripen. Am I complaining NOOO

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 12:53AM
Pappy52(9A)

In the last two weeks, my leaves are drying up and falling off...but at the same time I have a large number of unripe figs and as yours...new leafs budding all over the older branches. Normal? I don't know.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 7:03AM
Pappy52(9A)

By the way...I live in the Texas Gulf coast area.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 7:06AM
Gr8Figs(8a)

"I'm going to be honest I have pear trees flowering right now and I'm dumbfounded by why they would bloom in fall even 1 apple trees is blooming and my friend is getting blooms on his blueberries. I've seen some crazy things this year but this month tops it all."

One of my olive trees has had blooms recently and now one of my peach trees is starting to bloom.No blooms on my pear or apple trees yet.I have been clipping off any new figs since mid August.I have been eating sweet ripe wild persimmons for about 3 weeks which normally would be ripe after the first frost in 3rd or 4th week of October.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 12:59AM
More Discussions
Help please!!!
I badly need your help .why do the leaves curl and...
Kimmy Jane Santiago
Ficus Lyrata curly and crispy leaves.
I badly need your help .why do the leaves curl and...
Kimmy Jane Santiago
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
Best fig tree for Piedmont-SC?
Hi, I have a sunny front yard with some space. I would...
okyard1980
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™