Fall Birds - and need an ID

northspruce(z3a MB CDA)October 16, 2012

These are what are hanging around with my chickadees and juncoes this fall. The first three are the same bird, maybe not the same individual. I don't know what they are - help! I'm stumped!

It has a pale breast with indistinct buffy spots, a definite yellow area under the bill, and the back was darker with at least one wing bar. The legs and feet were quite pink/red. the bill was conical like a finch or sparrow. It was a slower bird and perched for several minutes at a time.

Here's a red-breasted nuthatch. They're around all day but I can't get a great shot because they're so busy!

Here is the bigger white-breasted nuthatch

And this was either a sapsucker or a downy woodpecker... I just missed it! LOL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Well, that guy sure is different! Definitely finch-like, though. Pudge is a bird person - maybe post the picture on Facebook.

I don't have feeders up yet as we usually wait until later in the season for that. We have to move our main feeder now because dh built a small deck in front of the porch and the feeder is right over it. There's usually a mess under it. There's so many times that i try to take a picture of birds and it doesn't work!

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 7:59AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

I am so so so so stumped. The only thing I can find that's close is a Hoary Redpoll or a Field Sparrow, but neither is quite right. A field sparrow at least has red legs...

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 6:53PM
Pudge 2b

I think your bird is a young female goldfinch showing fall plumage. The females aren't very showy at the best of times and as winter approaches they get even duller. One year I had goldfinch still at the feeders at christmas so they will hang around late into the year.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 6:57PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Thanks Pudge, I think you have a winner! My first reaction was no, the wings weren't black enough and goldfinches don't have red legs, but I'm looking at different photos and it seems their colouring is so variable. The little "V" tail gives it away, and what else would have that little bit of yellow under the chin. :)

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 7:19PM

Oh rats! I even thought that! And i would have been right, for a change!

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 7:29PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Great shots! pudge is right, the last of the three picture is a typical young little goldfinch.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 8:00PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Thanks Konrad. So should I put out some nyjer seed? I've been feeding just black sunflower.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 9:35PM

I love nyjer, I usually start this expensive seed in around November, mostly for red polls. Black sunflower is also what I feed and goldfinches do eat sunflower seed.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 10:19PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

I have a bag of nyjer, I just need to get a tube feeder for it. I tried putting it in my gazebo feeder in the spring and it all blew out. :(

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 10:43PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

I had a new guy at the feeder this morning. I'm pretty sure it's the non-breeding male goldfinch. Think so?

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 10:47AM

These are Pine Siskin, note.. sharp-point beak.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 11:36AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Ah! Thanks Konrad. I can add a new one to my list of feeder visitors this year. :)

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 11:59AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Couple of newbies recently. The first I think is a male Goldfinch:

And this has to be a House Finch, even though both my bird books say they don't live here. But they're introduced and spreading, so I think that's what this is.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 8:50PM

Yes, I would say you're right, strange that you still have Goldfinch around.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 12:24AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Yay, I finally have some pine grosbeaks, a flock of about 10 and a couple of redpolls.
Mister:

Mrs.:

And a redpoll

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 6:16PM

We have a really chubby Mrs. here. If i didn't know any better, i'd say she was with.....eggs! LOL

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 7:46PM

Nice, northspruce!

No redpolls here yet, it seems every year they come around December.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 6:08PM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Great bird shots! I can't get that close to my feather dusters and I probably need a better camera anyway. The finchs are abundant this winter; house and purple. Also had regular visits from my flicker friends. Lots of jays and of course, my black and white brats!

Marcia, everything is fat around here! Lol!

Ginny

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 6:22PM

I think that grosbeak was injured. I found her this afternoon hanging around my [frozen] pond. I probably just about stepped on her when i was putting up the Christmas lights. :-/ Anyway, she couldn't seem to fly, though i thought i saw her flying yesterday. She was around for awhile, but i was busy (we were putting in a new kitchen window!), and later when i looked for her she was gone. I'm hoping that she got away somewhere and that the dog didn't get her.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 8:00PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

My camera is 50x optical zoom but the most recent shots are just okay because I cheated and took them through the kitchen window. ;) Too cold to stand around outside convincing grosbeaks to look cute. The pine siskins were taken from outside, you can see the quality difference LOL.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
Grapes that survived (zone 2b)
all my grapes pulled through, except for a straggly...
intotheark
Emails from Houzz?
Has anyone else gotten one? Is it for real?
germinating rose seeds
What is a good way to start roses from seed, I picked...
wayne
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™