Lila Avocado

dclegg_gwMarch 24, 2013

Has anyone had experience with the Lila Avocado variety or winter mexican? A local grower said they would do better in The VIllages vs the Brogdon. We were planning getting the Brogdon, but I think she has changed my husband's mind (but not mine). It is a lot of money to put into one tree that might not make it! Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chara2(9)

Hi dclegg!
The correct name of this avocado is Lula. I live on the westside of Jacksonville and have Lula in my back yard for 3 years now. I protected it from freeze just 2 first winters. This past winter I was to busy to cover it and to my delight it has made it on it's own just fine. The tree lost a lot of leaves but the new are already growing. I didn't let my avocado tree to fruit yet, but this spring, I think, it is large enough and some fruit will be left to mature. So far, I'm very happy with Lula.

This post was edited by chara2 on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 16:49

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 4:46PM
dclegg_gw

I thought the same, but the lady at the nursery said they are not the same it is Lila. I think we are just going to go with our first choice Brogdon. We have been told by several people that it will not make it through the winter in 9a zone, but I think we are going to try. Pinetree nursery has them at Home Depot. THanks for your response.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 7:15PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Both Lila and Lula listed here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado varieties

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 7:24PM
rednofl(9b Goldenrod Fl hz 10)

I have a Brodgen that is not mature and 3 winters ago I almost lost it to that week long freeze we had I have since bought a Winter Mexican. It is good down mid 20's Winter Mexican to low 20 and Lila is good down into the teens. Do some research on Opal as it seems to be the same tree as Lila.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado varieties at T T

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.
Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has...
martianpictures
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™