Calandrinia umbellata

newskye(uk-8b)August 22, 2013

Does anyone grow this? Your thoughts about it? I'm curious about why all the gardening sites seem to tell me that it's grown as an annual despite being a perennial. Is it some sort of a flop in year 2 or does it not survive the winter well or what? Is this a plant you could see growing in little nooks like between paving slabs, cracks in paving, chinks in walls, etc.? Or am I really heading for disappointment with this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
florauk(8/9)

Many plants which are perennials in their natural habitat are grown as annuals elsewhere. Tomatoes,petunias and runner beans are three examples. The reason is that they may not overwinter in a different climate but can survive outdoors in the summer. I don't know this plant, but judging from comments on various websites it needs a warm and sunny summer to thrive in the UK. The fact that it is on the Alpine Garden Societies website implies that it is a tricky subject. They are succulents which already sounds warning bells for our climate. If you are thinking of this species for you guerilla gardening I am not sanguine about your chances. You need something much tougher.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
reminder of spring
post your spring pics from last year This post was...
davids10 z7a nv.
Garden critters
Here are some of the local fauna who stopped by the...
loisthegardener_nc7b
Hillside cottage garden
Hello! I am going to make my first ever attempt at...
rickcrum
Jane's work in progress
Jane emailed me a picture of the project she's still...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Received my seeds today
So psyched !!! Can't wait for spring !!!!
Cenepk10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™