Fungal disease or lack of nutrients?

dowolfSeptember 16, 2013

Hi,

I have a 7' Mission Fig outdoors, in coastal Southern CA. Planted in June, gets full sun pretty much the entire day. Soil is a mix of compost (60%) and original clay soil (40%). I used a small amount of fertilizer when I planted. Plant is watered about 3x/week, average amount of water.

For the past 6 weeks or so, the tree has been losing leaves. Affected leaves look like in the image. We got a decent amount of coastal fog in the mornings pretty much all summer long, and lost a lot of squash and tomato to powdery mildew. I figured this was a type of fungal disease also, and have been spraying the leaves every 10 days with either copper spray or Neem oil, but the problem continues.

Any idea if this is a fungal disease at work or if this could be a lack of nutrients or too much/too little water?

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dowolf

Some of the other (newly formed) leaves start curling around the edges, then browning at the edges, as in this picture.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 5:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
darcy.nikki

I am a newbie when it comes to figs. But I had something like this not too long ago back in August, the bottom picture my fig leaves looked like. They were completely burnt to a crisp. I was told it was "salt burn" but I am not sure exactly what it was. In any case, I added some gypsum to my clay soil and my leaves have grown back healthy and beautiful again. All green now. If it is a fungal infection the remedy is different and I can't help you there. Hopefully some other people have good advice here! I am sure they do! Good luck.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Cuttings with mold.
When I took my three bags of cuttings out of the fridge...
recoil_rob
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
Rooting Question
Hello All - I am trying to root some fig cuttings....
briana_2006
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
LosAngelesFigForest website
Please feel free to suggest improvements for the site. I...
Aaron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™