Angiosperms VS. Gymnosperms (physiological differences)

sequoia_stiffy(9)December 20, 2007

what are some of them, in terms of leaf structure, vascular tissues, etc? Looking at some of the agathis and podocarpus species, they look so much more like angiosperms, like flowering trees, than gymnosperms. So, I wonder, what are some other differences between angiosperms and gymnosperms besides the obvious seed structure? How about leaf structure, vascular differences, etc. Anybody know?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pineresin

Gymnosperms (apart from Gnetophytes) don't have vessels in their xylem (wood); Angiosperms do. There are other differences, but it's a bit early in the morning for me to remember them all yet ;-)

Otherwise, it is fairly tricky, as convergent evolution has resulted in many characters developing similar appearance as an optimum for various purposes, even though in structural development and origin they differ (e.g. alder 'cones', yew 'berries', broad-leaved Agathis leaves, needle-like Erica leaves, etc., etc.).

Resin

Bookmark   December 20, 2007 at 4:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fledgeling_(4b SD)

The transporting tissue of Angiosperms are vessel elements. The Gymnosperms have a different structure, tracheids, that preform the same function. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracheid

The presence of resin canals, on the conifers that usually have them (Dont remember which do and which dont), are a dead giveaway.

Bookmark   December 20, 2007 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
Arborvitae which branches' colour is changing
I have three Thujas, that i had for almost 2 years...
the_delinquent
yews - ok to cut clear to the ground?
I have a couple yews (probably T. X media) that were...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
emerald green problems, maybe
Hi, I purchased emerald green arborvitaes (or at least...
evo_lution
New arrivals
L-R back row. Picea a. 'Susan'. . Picea a. 'Summer...
davesconifers
Is this an Abies Disease?
I just noticed that my Abies koreana 'Blauer Pfiff'...
garcanad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™